mbam just won't scan

Another number one post, which means a problem....

My free version of mbam suddenly won't scan. The "start" window opens, all tabs are functional; I can update, play with settings.etc. When I try a scan I get as far as the "enumerate registry objects" screen; the timer rolls to one second, then freezes up. eventually, I get a "not responding" message, and can close the program.

I am running Vista home basic with a high-speed cable modem. my preferred browser is Firefox, although I do use IE9 upon occasion. Depending on what I'm doing, I usually run Sandboxie.

Nothing else on my system seems to be affected; my AV (Panda GP2012) and Spywareblaster behave normally. allowing scans and updates.

I have uninstalled (using your mbam cleanup tool) and reinstalled four times from various sites. I have attempted scans from Safe Mode and as Administrator. I have run Chkdsk twice, and made the recommended Firewall setting changes.

The only major changes I have made have been to install "Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2" (what a name!), and to run this month's Windows Update.

In the course of my thrashing about, I have received two messages: "Program_Error_Enumerate_Languages (3,0)" and "unable to find C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-malware\unis000msg". Exploring shows tons of language files, and unis000.msg is right there.

It does not seem to be a malware thing; I have a feeling that somewhere there is a setting that needs tweaking.

This is a pretty long first-time post, but I am trying to keep you guys from spending time and trouble suggesting things already tried.

Thanks for help!

Another number one post, which means a problem....

My free version of mbam suddenly won't scan. The "start" window opens, all tabs are functional; I can update, play with settings.etc. When I try a scan I get as far as the "enumerate registry objects" screen; the timer rolls to one second, then freezes up. eventually, I get a "not responding" message, and can close the program.

I am running Vista home basic with a high-speed cable modem. my preferred browser is Firefox, although I do use IE9 upon occasion. Depending on what I'm doing, I usually run Sandboxie.

Nothing else on my system seems to be affected; my AV (Panda GP2012) and Spywareblaster behave normally. allowing scans and updates.

I have uninstalled (using your mbam cleanup tool) and reinstalled four times from various sites. I have attempted scans from Safe Mode and as Administrator. I have run Chkdsk twice, and made the recommended Firewall setting changes.

The only major changes I have made have been to install "Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2" (what a name!), and to run this month's Windows Update.

In the course of my thrashing about, I have received two messages: "Program_Error_Enumerate_Languages (3,0)" and "unable to find C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-malware\unis000msg". Exploring shows tons of language files, and unis000.msg is right there.

It does not seem to be a malware thing; I have a feeling that somewhere there is a setting that needs tweaking.

This is a pretty long first-time post, but I am trying to keep you guys from spending time and trouble suggesting things already tried.

Thanks for help!

Whoops! Sorry; forgot to mention, I have run system restore; no joy....

Hello and welcome, poru:

Sorry to hear the MBAM is not scanning for you.

Sounds as if you have done quite a bit of troubleshooting, including reinstalling MBAM several times.

I am just a home user....

Until someone more expert has a chance to weigh in, the following possibilities come to mind:

1) It seems you have not set the necessary reciprocal exclusions and permissions for MBAM and Panda GP 2012?

2) You may be infected (failure of MBAM to scan can be a sign of malware infection)?

3) There may be some sort of "one-off" situation with your system (hardware/software/OS)?

I assume that your Windows Vista is SP2 and fully up-to-date with all security patches???

The first thing I would try is setting the MBAM and Panda exclusions, as explained here.

You might get this to work without having to completely reinstall MBAM yet again, but sometimes it does help to follow this procedure:

• If you are using MBAM PRO, be sure to have your license ID and key handy first.
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here.
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so (very important!).
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here.
    Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license ID & key you were sent via email, if you are using the PRO version.
  • Launch MBAM and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab (if not done during installation) and check for updates.
  • Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray (if using the PRO version).
  • Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications, and then restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQs here. Specifically for Panda GP21012, the instructions are here.

If this doesn't resolve your issue, then that would help to narrow the problem to possibilities #2 and #3, in which case the experts might need a bit more info about your system (e.g. by running a diagnostic tool such as DDS or OTL).

Please try one more clean install of MBAM, but this time following the sequence of temporarily disabling Panda during the install, and setting the MBAM and Panda exclusions.

Let us know if that works (or not) -- in the interim, I'm sure one of the more expert folks or MBAM staff will have some additional suggestions,

HTH,

daledoc1

PS: Please use the zMn2t.jpg button instead of other ones when you reply here and at the other forums, so that it will be easier to read. :)

daledoc, thanks for the quick response.

I had run the sequence you suggested earlier, but I figured that, like Granny's chicken soup, it couldn't hurt, and it was very nice to have all the directions and links in one spot.

Unfortunately, no luck.

I even tried an end run by signing on for the pro trial, which installed just fine and even seems to have indicated "failed to perform desired action. error code:0" on a program I ran.

It just won't scan.

So I guess, like you say, it's just a matter of sitting tight, and waiting for further assistance.

In any case, I do appreciate the welcome and the help!

Hi, poru:

I have a hunch you might be infected.

Unless there is something peculiar about your system hardware/software, then infection is probably the most likely explanation.

You didn't mention it, but I hope your Vista OS is fully patched and up-to-date with SP2?

Have you recently been or might you now be infected (popups, browser redirects, problems running other programs, crashes, slowdowns)?

Until one of the MBAM staff weighs in, please have a look at this article here: FAQ - Malwarebytes won't run. There are some tricks and workarounds for getting MBAM to run on an infected machine.

If none of that works, and/or if you believe you might be infected, then the best thing is probably to read the information below, since we cannot work on malware removal here.

One of the malware experts will assist you in the detection of and cleaning of any malware on your system.

If you would like expert assistance with cleaning your system, there are 3 support options from which to choose:

• Option 1 -- Free, Expert advice in the Malware Removal Forum
  • Option 2 -- Free support for paying customers using MBAM PRO -- Contact MBAM Support via email
  • Option 3 -- Premium, Fee-Based Support

OPTION 1

As we don't deal with malware removal in this General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum, you need to start a topic in the Malware Removal forum so that a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.

• First, please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete.
  • If the infection has so crippled the computer that you cannot follow most/all of the requested steps, then please just proceed as advised below:
  • Then please post a NEW topic here.
  • When posting your new thread, please make sure that, under "options", you select Track this topic and choose Immediate Email Notification, so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.
  • One of the expert helpers there will give you free, one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.
  • Please refrain from making any further changes to your computer such as (Install/Uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc...) unless advised by a malware removal helper. Doing so can result in system changes which may hinder the attempts by a helper to clean your machine.

IMPORTANT NOTE:Please DO NOT post back to your topic or "bump" it within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count from zero. Helpers are looking for topics with zero replies. If you reply to your own post, helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus may overlook your post. This will only delay your obtaining assistance.

• o If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
    Or
    o You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

OPTION 2

Alternatively, as a paying customer using MBAM PRO, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or here.

OPTION 3

If you would like to use the Malwarebytes Premium Services (Comprehensive solutions to all your computer support needs -- from installation and set-up to troubleshooting and tune-ups), please go to the Malwarebytes Premium Services support site.

Please be patient -- someone will assist you as soon as it is possible.

Thanks very much!

daledoc1

daledoc1-

Whoa... That's a pretty impressive FAQ.

Gotta be a winner in there, somewhere!

So, I guess I better get to work!

Thanks again!

- poru

Sorry, I didn't answer your questions. (1) Yes, my OS is up-to-date, including SP2. (2) I haven't been aware of any malware problems recently. In March, some dumkopf in Berlin hacked my Facebook password; I notified all my contacts, and spent a merry morning changing and hardening my passwords. I hate Facebook, but it's the only way to catch photos of the grandkids.

P.S. I'm sorry for the replies to myself, but I cant seem to find the "edit" function.