xp antivirus 2012 malware

G'day guys,

After a very long 4 hours of searching the web this morning I have stumbled onto this forum. It looks very much like the place I could get help so I will get to the point.

My son installed a program from the net and now my PC is infected with the above malware/virus.

I cannot open any program or run anything via Start,Run. I also tried going into safe mode with networking and it does exactly the same thing. That is as soon as I tried to run or open any program it brings up this Antivirus 2012, you are infected msg. I can close that window and it re-appears when I try to open any other program.

There must be some other way of getting around this program so that I can run an anti-malware program to get rid of this annoying thing!

Also in the Task Manager there is only "rnc.exe" that run when this "anti-virus 2012" malware is running.

many thanks in advance

Nigel.

Hello and welcome to the forums

http://www.eset.eu/online-scanner

Go here to run an online scannner from ESET.

Click the green ESET Online Scanner button.

Read the End User License Agreement and check the box: YES, I accept the Terms of Use.

Click on the Start button next to it.

You may receive an alert on the address bar that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then click Insall ActiveX component.

A new window will appear asking "Do you want to install this software?"".

Answer Yes to download and install the ActiveX controls that allows the scan to run.

Click Start.

Check Remove found threats and Scan potentially unwanted applications.

Click Scan to begin.

If offered the option to get information or buy software. Just close the window.

Wait for the scan to finish

Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt

Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!