"Malware Protection" virus (possibly new?)

I've tried everything I know in terms of removing a virus, which isnt much, so I'm hoping someone here can help me...

Earlier today (May 10, 2011), my laptop got a rogue malware protection program-type virus. The name of the "program" is literally "Malware Protection."

My McAfee firewall did nothing, and the virus downloaded while I was on callofduty.wikia.com (Please don't judge me. Yes, I play video games. The site was clean as far as I knew as late as yesterday.)

All of the effects of the virus that I have encounter:

1) Annoying pop-ups and a taskbar logo for the virus, all claiming clearly false security problems. (to be expected with a virus of this type)

2) I can't run Internet Explorer, Firefox, System Restore, or Malwarebytes. If I attempt to, the rogue program tells me that whatever I am attempting to run is infected with "W32/Blaster.worm" A quick search shows that this worm is 7 years old, and clearly a false warning.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on the laptop.

I am currently posting from a different computer and cannot download directly to the laptop, so I will be working off of a flash drive.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!

Update: good news and bad news.

Good News: I have determined that the malware on my computer is a version of "spyware protection" http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=73614

Bad News: It still won't let me run MBAM, even with multiple different re-namings. Is there any way to remove the virus manually, or some other way to run MBAM or another program?

Also task manager is among the programs that i cannot run...

• Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!