Reformatting harddrive for Dell XPS M1530

mjcurtis

I need to reformat my hard drive to repair my computer, but I am not sure how to go about doing this. I have stored all the files I want to save onto an external hard drive and have the Dell CD's/DVD's that came with my computer. Where should I start, and what should I do? Also, how can I ensure that my computer will be protected after doing this?

I need to reformat my hard drive to repair my computer, but I am not sure how to go about doing this. I have stored all the files I want to save onto an external hard drive and have the Dell CD's/DVD's that came with my computer. Where should I start, and what should I do? Also, how can I ensure that my computer will be protected after doing this?

Hey there!

First , back up all your important files and data on external device such as external USB flash or hard drive , or CD/DVDs.

While your Windows computer is working , it is in an environment in Windows . Formatting can only be done in environment where your main operating system (a.k.a. Windows) is not running - in simple words this means you need to boot from the external device (example the DELL disks) and then perform the necessary actions.

If your Windows came preinstalled with your Dell computer , the disks are recovery disks that do not reinstall the OS but restore it using a system image to a factory settings (all files and programs the computer had when it was bought). These computers usually have a hidden partition made by the manufacturer (Dell in this case) .

If you format your computer's hard disk using another external disk (for example Linux based) , the hidden partition may be deleted and I am not sure you'll be able to recover using Dell's disks afterwards.

I don't know what kind of problem you are facing but if you insist on Windows reinstallation I think you'd better just recover to factory settings now and see if that helps instead of formatting the hard drive. If this doesn't help , post back describing your issues in details

All my malware related problems are still present. I have backed up all my files that I want to save on an external hard drive. I have gone through the Malware removal process on this website, but even though I followed the directions my computer still has the same problems that I started with. From what I can tell, a complete reboot of my computer and starting a new would be the best solution to get rid of my Malware problems. Please help me fix this problem.

My CD's/DVD's are: [All of these came with my computer]

1. Operating System Reinstallation DVD Windows Vista Home Premium 64BIT SP1

2. Drivers and Utilities Reinstallation Webcam Manager

3. Drivers and Utilities Reinstallation Dell XPS Portable Computer Software

4. Application Reinstallation Dell Mediadirect 3.5

5. McAfee Security Center Reinstallation CD

6. Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007

7. Roxio Creator DE 10.2

All my malware related problems are still present. I have backed up all my files that I want to save on an external hard drive. I have gone through the Malware removal process on this website, but even though I followed the directions my computer still has the same problems that I started with. From what I can tell, a complete reboot of my computer and starting a new would be the best solution to get rid of my Malware problems. Please help me fix this problem.

My CD's/DVD's are: [All of these came with my computer]

1. Operating System Reinstallation DVD Windows Vista Home Premium 64BIT SP1

2. Drivers and Utilities Reinstallation Webcam Manager

3. Drivers and Utilities Reinstallation Dell XPS Portable Computer Software

4. Application Reinstallation Dell Mediadirect 3.5

5. McAfee Security Center Reinstallation CD

6. Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007

7. Roxio Creator DE 10.2

Most likely your malware related problems can be fixed . I stronly suggest you either let the malware helper you want to reinstall or follow their further advise to clean the malware off your computer.

As for the disks , you won't need number 5 (the McAfee one) :)

If you really insist on recovering to factory settings - follow these instructions:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5020612_easily-dell-pc-factory-settings.html

If / After returing to factory settings :

1) at first do NOT connect to the Internet

2) have a look at Control Panel -> Programs and features and get rid of unnecessary crappy applications that may come with your factory settings

3) make sure Windows Firewall is enable

4) Connect to Internet and visit this web site and download Windows Vista's Service Pack 2 (SP2)

5) Run the installation file of SP2 to install it (file just downloaded - step4)

6) Do not visit any other web site or insert any media at this time but your antivirus vendor's web site to download up-to-date version of your antivirus

7) Visit Malwarebytes' web site and download your MBAM copy

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

8) Continue with reinstalling other application you need and return your files/data

While doing the above steps , do not insert any media (such as disks or removable USB disk/flash , etc) , do not visit any 3rd party questionable sites .

As I said earlier, when I asked for help with my malware I got no help whatsoever. Even though they "helped" me clear my viruses off my computer, once it appeared that my viruses were gone the person who helped me ended the thread. Can you re-direct me to someone who is actually going to help?

As I said earlier, when I asked for help with my malware I got no help whatsoever. Even though they "helped" me clear my viruses off my computer, once it appeared that my viruses were gone the person who helped me ended the thread. Can you re-direct me to someone who is actually going to help?

Just a second , I am looking at your other thread (even though i also do not see any malware related issues).

Your computer was checked very good by the moderator . Your issues seems not to be related to malicious software but to other computer problems .

You seem to have many applications running at the same time . I didn't see any information about your PC's hardware and if it can handle it.

Just to have some information about your computer's specifications , can you download ESET SysInspector utility and run it:

http://download.eset.com/download/sysinspector/32/ENU/SysInspector.exe

When the log is ready , go to File -> Save log , save it on your Desktop (for example) and attach it here so that I can see it.

I will not be making any changes to your computer nor will give you instructions for malware removal forum , this log will just give me and other members some information about running software and machine specifications

Either way, whether I have a virus or whatnot--my computer is still running slow. Start up time on my computer usually takes a while, and I must wait until everything is completely loaded before I attempt to open any document or whatnot. Once I am on the internet, or have a document [or multiple ones] open they usually start to freeze fairly quickly and must open a task manager in order to close them.

Either way, whether I have a virus or whatnot--my computer is still running slow. Start up time on my computer usually takes a while, and I must wait until everything is completely loaded before I attempt to open any document or whatnot. Once I am on the internet, or have a document [or multiple ones] open they usually start to freeze fairly quickly and must open a task manager in order to close them.

If you wish to have a further look , just give us some information to work with (e.g. ESET SysInspector's log is some good start) .

General suggestions not specific to your post : You may try to reinstall your not functioning programs , you may decide to remove application you do not need any more , you can defragment your computer's hard disk , you can run Windows' checkdisk utility to check for errors , etc.

You may also restore to factory settings if you find it most appropriate (instructions given above).

Whatever you choose , I will try to help you :)

1) I see there are some leftovers of McAfee product in your computer . Since McAfee is no longer operating and protecting your machine , they have to be removed.

Follow their instructions here and use the MCPR.exe tool http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

2) You have excessive number of applications installed and I am sure you don't need all of them . Running them all can be a cause of slow down.

I advise you go to Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and feautures and uninstall what you find unnecessary for you.

You may start with these and continue with other you find not needed:

Shop for HP Supplies

Windows Live related crap

Adobe AIR

AOL stuff

DELL Video chat

ESET Online scanner

Live! Cam Avatar v1.0

etc.

When you remove them , reboot your computer

3) Open Start -> All programs -> Accessories -> Run

Type in msconfig.exe and press [ENTER]

Go to "Startup" tab and uncheck the following:

• Adobe Reader Speed Launcher = C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe
  • Adobe ARM = C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe
  • QuickTime Task = C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

Confirm the changes , close and reboot

4) I don't know what your computer is used for and if you are home user .

Do you need these programs/services ?

• Steam Client Service
  • UltraVNC Server
  • Dock Login Service
  • Remote Access Media Server
  • Remote Access DB

If you are a typical user you may not need them - I am not sure .

If you don't need them , we can disable them to see if it helps. In case you need them in future , they can safely be re-enabled:

Open Start -> All programs -> Accessories -> Run

Type in msconfig.exe and press [ENTER]

Go to "Services" tab and check "Hide all Microsoft services"

Find

[*]Steam Client Service

[*]UltraVNC Server

[*]Dock Login Service

[*]Remote Access Media Server

[*]Remote Access DB

and uncheck them . Confirm the changes , close and reboot.

5) Download , install and run CCleaner

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim

It will help you remove unnecessary temporary files from your computers.

When you start it , place a check on all these:

ivz78h.png

start analyzing and clean the temp files

6) Defragment your hard disks:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Improve-performance-by-defragmenting-your-hard-disk

7) Check your hard disk for errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Check-your-hard-disk-for-errors

Follow the instruction in the advise and pages carefully and don't hesitate to ask if you are unsure.