Once infected how to update

Using the traditional method (via Internet).

If something doesn't allow MBAM to update , you may first try this application (RKill - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/rkill) and then try to update . But in all cases you need to clean your computer no matter if you update MBAM while infected or not.

In case you suspect infection that MBAM hasn't detected or can't deal with , post here using the sticky post instructions.

The computer will not function and I am unable to connect to the internet so that I can update the Malware. Any other suggestions?

Does the computer boot to Desktop ? What do you mean "will not function" ?

Offline update for MBAM : http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=6844

The offline update contains older signatures than those produced online. You can download the package on clean computer and transfer it to the offline machine via USB/CD , etc.

If your computer is infected and you cannot start your Windows , you may try AVIRA's Rescue CD here or DrWeb's Live CD here.

Download the ISO on clean computer , take a free CD or DVD disk and burn the ISO . If you don't know how - instructions here

If your computer boots to Desktop , I would recommend you try the malware removal section here at MBAM forums , as given in my instructions above.