mbam hang ups

Hi, Jamiemad1:

Welcome.

I know you said you already reinstalled once, but you may have inadvertently forgotten a step or 2 (such as a reboot or running the cleanup tool).

So, please try this first, since this usually resolves most issues.

It's not as hard as it looks -- I've just broken it down into the individual steps for clarity.

If this does not work, then please post back and we will get you fixed up.

1) Uninstall MBAM from the Windows control panel;

2) Reboot (very important);

3) Download and run the MBAM cleanup tool, found here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe

4) Reboot;

5) Download a fresh copy of MBAM from here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

6) Temporarily disable your AV and install MBAM. Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent.

7) Reboot;

8) Set up an program permissions and file exclusions in your AV and firewall, as explained here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138 (Specific instructions depend on the AV software vendor and your computer's OS). --- HERE IS WHERE WE NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOUR AV AND FW ARE. I WILL LIST THE VARIOUS MBAM FILES YOU NEED TO GIVE PERMISSION AND EXCLUDE BELOW, BUT THE EXACT PROCEDURE VARIES DEPENDING ON WHAT "BRAND" OF SOFTWARE YOU ARE RUNNING (See below).

9) Add the program folder(s) for you AV and FW to MBAM's "Ignore List".

---------------------

This is for step #8 above.

Since you did not mention your OS, I am providing instructions for XP and for Vista/7.

For Windows XP:

* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll

* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll

* C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

* C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys

* C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll

* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll

* C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

* C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

* C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

* C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

* C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

* C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll

* C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll

* C:\Program Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

* C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it, as well.

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products, here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10138

ALSO: You will also want to add the program folder(s) for your AV and FW to MBAM's Ignore List (see screen shot).

Let us know how this works,

daledoc1

A couple of other things come to mind as I wait for you to post back.

You mention that you are running your full scans overnight.

So...

First:

Is your computer set to go into sleep or hibernate mode while you are running your scan?

If so, you may need to adjust MBAM settings to allow it to wake the computer to perform the scan.

Second:

For routine scans, one really only needs to run MBAM Quick Scans.

These cover all the high-risk places on the computer and are more than adequate for regular scanning.

They only take a minute or 2.

Full scans are really only necessary when cleaning up traces of nasties, or on an infrequent basis, if you are really paranoid.

If you are running MBAM PRO alongside a robust firewall and AV, then unless you are engaging in unsafe computing practices or suspect your system is infected, frequent/daily FULL scans are really overkill.

Well, I hope this helps a bit.

We will look forward to hearing back from you.

If what I suggested doesn't resolve your issue, there are other things to try in the trouble-shooting and lots of very smart folks here!

Daledoc1

hello and thank you for your help i am running windows xp i was trying to do a full scan because i fond this weird thing under msconfig start up the 2 programs with the weird squares also i dont let the computer hibernate i never had problems scanning before its usually the only time my computer gets a break from everyone here i am working on what you told me to do now thanks again

post-69113-0-41422300-1297481260_thumb.j

See here for permissions for MBAM in Win XP:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138&st=0&p=181018entry181018

Scroll down to section I.

Post back after you've done a clean reinstall of MBAM, including setting up those program permissions.

I don't know what to make of those weird entries (sure looks suspicious, but I'm not a computer engineer) -- what do you see if you expand the full file path for those entries?

At the risk of switching tactics, if you suspect your system is infected (either b/c of those entries or other behavior), then it would probably be a good idea to read this:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=69723

and then to start a thread here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=7

(We don't work on malware removal in this particular sub-forum, and you need one of the authorized, trained experts to help you over there.)

That might be the best thing to do, while waiting to see if one of the more experienced members has something to add here,

daledoc1

PS Please crop your attachments to a more manageable size, if you can. Thanks!

OK, so, are you now running the current version of MBAM (1.50.1.1100) with the current definitions (currently 5743)?

And you were able to successfully add the MBAM exclusions to MSE?

And did you add MSE to the MBAM "Ignore List" as shown with my earlier post?

If all that is good, then....

Please explain by what you mean by, "when it said to go to protection"?

The free version does not offer real-time protection; it can only do manual, on-demand scans.

So, there is no option for it to start with Windows.

So, if you are running the FREE version, you can not enable the option for MBAM to start with Windows.

(I don't run XP, but I *think* -- if I remember correctly -- that this feature may be unavailable on Windows XP, even for the PRO version of MBAM. I'm not sure.)

If everything is installed properly, with the proper exclusions, and MBAM is updated OK, then the next step would be to run a Quick Scan.

daledoc1

ok thanks i did not purchase real time protection yet that maybe why i don't see "start with windows" only problem im having trouble finding the microsoft security essentials files still looking tho

Yes, if you only have the FREE version, then there is no real-time protection. So, let's skip that for now -- you can always decide to purchase a lifetime license for the PRO version later (highly recommended for better protection).

Can you explain what you mean by "having trouble finding the MSE files"?

Are you having trouble locating the folder containing MSE, so that you can add it to MBAM "Ignore List"?

Take a look at the screen shot in my earlier post.

Yours will not be identical, b/c you are running XP (I have Win7), and I have KIS (you have MSE).

So, open the MBAM main window.

Click the "Ignore List" tab.

Click the "Add" button. It will open a window listing all the places/drives on your system.

Click on "C:", then the folder called "Program Files".

There should be a folder called Microsoft Security Essentials.

Highlight (select) it.

Click OK.

It should then appear in the MBAM Ignore List Window.

Does that work?

daledoc1

OK, I'm having a little trouble understanding what you mean sometimes.

For example, do you see a folder called Microsoft Security Essentials in the window when you open the "Ignore List" tab of the MBAM main window, yes or no?

(It will look similar to, but not identical to the picture I attached in my earlier post, b/c my security program has a different name.)

Please confirm:

MBAM 1.50.1.110 Installed -- Yes or No? (Open the main MBAM window > click "About" tab > it will tell you the version number under the big blue logo)

Definitions version is now 5744 -- Yes or No? (Open the main MBAM window > click "Update" tab > it will tell you the database version you have installed)

Permissions for MBAM added to MSE -- Yes or No?

MSE added to MBAM Ignore List -- Yes or No?

If YES to all, then please try to run a Quick Scan. :)

If it comes up with anything other than completely clean, then the best bet will be to follow my earlier advice to post in the malware removal forum, since we don't work on malware removal in this particular sub-forum.

I've got to head off to work now. So, if another member/mod/admin would like to follow up for the time being, please feel free.

Thanks!

daledoc1

PS Please just use the "add reply" button when you post! :)

ok found it it was in a strange location under documents and setting dont ask me how

What is "it"?

What did you find under docs and settings?

Microsoft Security Essentials is a Program.

So it should be under C:\Program Files\<something>...

I don't use XP and don't use MSE, and I could be wrong, but I cannot imagine why the program would be located in Docs/Settings.

There may be log files or something there, but not the program files themselves.

So, I don't know what "it" is to which you are referring.

I'm really sorry, but I really need to step away for now.

I've tried to explain things as clearly as I can.

I feel bad, but I had no idea we would be working at it for this long....

Here's what I suggest:

-- If you think you have MBAM installed correctly, then try to run a Quick Scan.

-- If you still cannot get it set up or if the scan crashes again, then please wait until I or someone else can assist you further.

-- If you do run a scan & it turns up anything at all, or if you have any reason to suspect that the computer is infected, then please follow my earlier suggestion to post in the malware removal forum (I gave you the link several posts ago :) ).

Thanks,

daledoc1

That's GREAT!

Thanks for YOUR patience sticking with it.

Helping someone remotely can be a challenge, eh?

But you got it done!

It was a good decision to upgrade to MBAM PRO because the real-time protection will help prevent your system from becoming infected.

(I have no $$ interest in saying that, as I am just a paying home user of the PRO version myself.)

For tips on how to schedule automatic updates and scans, see post #3 here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=75082

and here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=73955

There is more info in the help files: Open the main MBAM window > about > help.

What I would do about those start-up entries -- assuming you are not suspicious of infection -- is post in the PC Help forum.

Include that screenshot from the msconfig window (if you have a means to crop it down from the full screen capture, that would be swell) and describe any symptoms you may be experiencing.

That forum is here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=6

It may just be a corruption issue or something not very serious (TBHWY, I really don't know).

If an expert suspects a malware issue, they can then refer you to the malware removal forum, for more detailed assistance, including reviewing some diagnostic logs of your system.

Great job!

OK, well, I guess we can mark this thread as closed. :)

Feel free to post back if you need assistance.

Best regards,

daledoc1