Backups - Murphy's Law will get you!

wuzww

:blink:

Murphy sez... If it can happen, it will..!

Murphy's Law got me..!

I learned the hard way that I should make an extra copy of the backup image file.

I use Macrium Reflect to frequently backup my operating harddrive on my computers.

Heck, I figured I was safe, knowing I had several MR backup files stored on a nearly new Samsung 2-TB harddrive.

Then one morning, awhile back I discovered... IT WAS DEAD..!

That nearly new Samsung harddrive had DIED..!The 'puter couldn't even see it!

I put that hardrive in another computer and it couldn't see the drive either...

Later that same day, the computer started acting funny..

This was B4 I had the paid version of mbam.

Something had happened to that computer, but to my dismay, I realized my more recent backups were on that dead harddrive...

...I did have some older backup images on an external harddrive.., but they were several months older.

Unfortunately, I had little choice but to restore the machine to an older backup image.

I re-learned a lesson... that I already knew..(but ignored)... Murphy will get you..!

Now, when I make a Macrium Reflect backup image, I copy the finished file to another harddrive.. Just in case it happens again..!

Samsung said to ship the hardrive to them and they'd try to save my data. No such luck..! They had to replace it with a new one..!

wuzww ;)

Wow. At least I knew my downfall was inevitable. However, your situation is a lot worse than mine was. My harddrive did not die, but I did have to completely reformat. That is what happens when you hunt for malware without a virtual machine or any kind of antivirus with realtime protection.

Howdy, lelenina,..

Golly, gee ...I hope you have a second harddrive and are using Macrium Reflect..! It will usually save you, TOTALLY..!

I beg to differ with your comment that you had it easier...

I don't think so... SMALL CONSOLATION to you... but I feel your pain.. Like they say,... been there.. done that... didn't like it..!

I didn't have to format and completely start over like you did, because the harddrive that died only contained my most recent Macrium Reflect backup files. (I had some older backup files to use.)

You probably already know, but for those who don't... Macrium Reflect (a free program to people, not businnesses.) is a TRUE CLONE MAKER. It will ABSOLUTELY make a file (aka image) of your primary operational harddrive (C: drive on most 'puters), which can be cloned back and IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS IT WAS when the backup file (aka image) was made.

It does what windows says it will do (and more, cause it saves your pictures, music, etc.).. but Windows "restore" option MOSTLY, ONLY WORKS WHEN YOU DON'T REALLY HAVE TO HAVE IT. When you REALLY NEED IT... it says IT SAYS IT CAN'T RESTORE the "restore point"!!

So pardon me for being cynical... but Microsoft OFTEN FALLS SHORT..!

In my opinion... Windows restore point "fix-it option" is about 90% worthless!

If it doesn't work when you need it... you better not depend on it and instead use a program like Macrium Reflect..!

wuzww :blink:

Guest garybear
Tomorrow morning or maybe tomorrow afternoon I am going to install Macrium Reflect. Reading the description of it on their website, it really does sound like an excellent program.

:blink:

Hello my good friend

My neighbor and good friend Walter(wuzww) is a Macrium Reflect fanatic. He will be glad to help you with Macrium. There isn't very much that he doesn't know about the software. He loves helping people learn how to use Macrium.

He's not good at filling out profiles but he has 4 computers and has built several and knows a lot about them. He's a good guy.

@wuzww:

Please excuse me for stealing your thread.

I have begun short-term testing Macrium Reflect 4.2.3141 for several family members that are backup challenged. My early observations are that their site's forum may not be possible to post to unless you have paid for the application.

1.) When trying to sign up for their forum, the license number from the freeware version is not acceptable.

2.) At least one file, in my evaluation version, has an unsigned executable i.e. not "Code Signed".

3.) Mis-identifies Linux ext4 partition types as ext2/3 types.

If you have contact with the folks at Paramount Software, please pass these shortcomings on.

Lest someone believe otherwise - Yes, this appears to be an excellent solution so far.

Thank you kindly.

Guest garybear
@wuzww:

Please excuse me for stealing your thread.

I have begun short-term testing Macrium Reflect 4.2.3141 for several family members that are backup challenged. My early observations are that their site's forum may not be possible to post to unless you have paid for the application.

1.) When trying to sign up for their forum, the license number from the freeware version is not acceptable.

2.) At least one file, in my evaluation version, has an unsigned executable i.e. not "Code Signed".

3.) Mis-identifies Linux ext4 partition types as ext2/3 types.

If you have contact with the folks at Paramount Software, please pass these shortcomings on.

Lest someone believe otherwise - Yes, this appears to be an excellent solution so far.

Thank you kindly.

Hello friend!!

The only bad thing I have found about Macrium, you don't get support unless you have the paid version.

I have the paid version, but I'm not sure what you want me to report.

I also have the email address of the software designer.

Some things I'm computer literate, some things not so good. I would be happy to report your problem if you could explain them in my language.

admin@macrium.com

OK, 1pw...

As you requested... I have posted your concerns on Macrium Reflect's forum.

I'll post any response I get from them.. and/or... if you give me your email address, I can also email the info to you.

(If you want to give me your email address, I'd suggest you PM it to me.)

And if you wish, I could give Macrium Reflect your email address... Your call..

wuzww :blink:

@wuzww:

Of course it might be bad form for the discussion of shortcomings of an allied software publisher's product.

I'll approach this in two ways:

1.) I'll soon send you a P.M. with more detail for the Macrium Reflect product.

2.) Safe to say that if anyone runs Microsoft's integral signature verify application (sigverif.exe), it's a trivial matter to identify which files fail.

Please allow me to thank you for going above and beyond and acting as a conduit for my communication with Macrium Support.

Well Done!