Malwarebytes Update Leads to Blue Screen Of Death

Hi All,

I just updated Malwarebytes on my Dell Dimension E510 with XP SP2. After the update, I was prompted to restart my computer, which I did. The restart led to the Blue Screen Of Death, which I have not been able to get through after 3 hours of trying everything I can think of. The error code is "page fault in nonpaged area".

I have tried the following with no luck. They all lead back to the BSOD...

- Unplug, restart.

- Restart in safe mode

- Restart in safe mode w/ command prompt. (Stops at mup.sys)

- Reset computer to last known good configuration

- Tried to boot off of Windows XP CD to do a Repair, but this also led to the BSOD

- Tried booting off another hard drive, led to BSOD, same error code

I'm not sure what the issue is, but I don't think it has anything to do with the hard drive. Could the update have changed other settings somewhere that I am not aware of?

Thanks for any input.

Charlie

• Staff

This from your description has nothing to do with our software or your windows install.

Especially booting off a cd your hard drive doesnt come into play or any software installed. This is most likely a memory problem if it BSOD on the cd before you even got to options. Its definitely a hardware problem. You can try reseating your memory or if you have multiple chips remove one at a time.. try to boot.. IF that didn't solve it put it back remove the next one and try again..etc

This from your description has nothing to do with our software or your windows install.

Especially booting off a cd your hard drive doesnt come into play or any software installed. This is most likely a memory problem if it BSOD on the cd before you even got to options. Its definitely a hardware problem. You can try reseating your memory or if you have multiple chips remove one at a time.. try to boot.. IF that didn't solve it put it back remove the next one and try again..etc

So you are suggesting that the BSOD after the update was just a coincidence? I find that hard to believe...

• Staff

Unless these statements are false:

- Tried to boot off of Windows XP CD to do a Repair, but this also led to the BSOD

- Tried booting off another hard drive, led to BSOD, same error code

Its 100% impossible as our software isn't even loaded and your windows isn't even either. So that rules out software..

It may be hard to believe but unfortunately from your description that you provided it has to be an unfortunate coincidence.

A suggestion would be to use this tool and check your memory.

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

You would need to download the iso, unzip and use cd burning software to create a cd. Boot off the cd on the machine giving you problems and let it run for about an hour.. If there are errors you have bad memory.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

So I took the hard drive out of the computer with "hardware failure" to test it and see what I could come up with. Well guess what? I get the same BSOD with the same error codes. Imagine that.

I again tried booting from CD, and again got the same BSOD.

The hard drive DOES work and I can access all the files on it when booting from another hard drive.

Anyone got anymore ideas on this?

Thanks,

Charlie

Yes. I ran memtest. No errors were found. This is a different computer anyways, so what would the ram have to do with it? Only the hard drive was transferred over to the new computer.

Did you check the ram as recommended?

The hard drive is not at issue here cause you still get a bsod booting off a cd.

• Staff

Ok now that you stated you are working with a new computer that adds a whole new set of variables here.

So you just transferred the hard drive to the new computer and tried to boot with it? That doesnt always work unless it's the same chipset drivers and such.

Have you run any diagnostics on the hard drive? Best thing is whoever the manufacturer of it is to get their tool and run it against it.

Are you still getting a bsod with booting off the cd only? if so like i said the hard drive doesnt come into play when booting off a cd..

Try booting off the cd with the hard drive disconnected and see if you still get an error.

Also what error codes you are getting now may help us give you more advice on getting this resolved.

Go into BIOS and set the SATA controller from AHCI mode to ATA mode, then boot to your Windows XP installation CD.

Or, if you have a Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation media, try booting from that.

If either of those work successfully, it's likely that the AHCI driver on the hard drive has been corrupted. You may need to do a clean install to the hard drive.

Go into BIOS and set the SATA controller from AHCI mode to ATA mode, then boot to your Windows XP installation CD.

Or, if you have a Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation media, try booting from that.

If either of those work successfully, it's likely that the AHCI driver on the hard drive has been corrupted. You may need to do a clean install to the hard drive.

I went into BIOS, but the only two options were SATA or RAID (It is currently SATA). Nothing anywhere about AHCI. I did make sure that the BIOS was updated to the correct version.

Ok now that you stated you are working with a new computer that adds a whole new set of variables here.

So you just transferred the hard drive to the new computer and tried to boot with it? That doesnt always work unless it's the same chipset drivers and such.

Have you run any diagnostics on the hard drive? Best thing is whoever the manufacturer of it is to get their tool and run it against it.

Are you still getting a bsod with booting off the cd only? if so like i said the hard drive doesnt come into play when booting off a cd..

Try booting off the cd with the hard drive disconnected and see if you still get an error.

Also what error codes you are getting now may help us give you more advice on getting this resolved.

The new computer is an exact replica of my old computer, same chipset (Intel 945 Express),

The hard drive is a 250GB Seagate, model # ST3250824AS. I just ran it through a battery of tests using Seagates "Seatools for Windows". There were no errors.

I am still getting BSOD booting off the CD, but only when using the "bad" hard drive. If I unplug the "bad" hard drive and plug in the "good" hard drive from the new computer, I am able to boot off the CD. With the "bad" hard drive, the CD is able to get to the point where it says something like "Windows is now starting" after some drivers and other goodies are loaded.

I will get back to you with error codes ASAP.

Ok and these hard drives are similar? Meaning both the same type of connection? Sata for example?

with the "bad" hard drive connected it shows in bios fine? Meaning the name and such isn't corrupted?

Yes, both hard drives are the exact same model and size and both have SATA connections. BIOS shows up the same for each hard drive.

Here are some of the BSOD error codes that I have been getting.

When booting off "bad" hard drive...

BSOD after first MS Windows XP screen with progress bar:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0x86F39AE4,0xF7AAd504,0xF7AAD200

When booting off "bad" hard drive in Safe Mode with command prompt...

BSOD after driver Mup.sys is reached:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xC435f98C,0x00000001,0x80537009,0x00000000)

When booting off CD with "bad" hard drive...

BSOD after Windows Setup finishes loading files and reaches the point where the status bar the at bottom says "Setup is starting Windows...":

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7CAF524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I just want to thank you guys for the help with this. I know how frustrating it can be trying to figure out issues like this without the computer in front of you.

• Staff

Sorry i missed your post.

Its got to be a bad drive. Even though it passed the test it's the only thing that is left.

For the Following reasons

1. you moved it to another machine and got same issues with the new machine that was known working fine before.

2. Got BSOD booting off cd with it connected and the BSOD vanished when disconnected usually points to a electric circuit board issue with the drive more than a physical rotational or platter problem.

All the bsod errors you posted usually points to Memory or hard drive. We know the memory is good because the same issue occurs with both machines and you only swapped the hard drive and the issue followed you.

I would advise getting a new drive and copy the data off to the new drive.

Sorry i missed your post.

Its got to be a bad drive. Even though it passed the test it's the only thing that is left.

For the Following reasons

1. you moved it to another machine and got same issues with the new machine that was known working fine before.

2. Got BSOD booting off cd with it connected and the BSOD vanished when disconnected usually points to a electric circuit board issue with the drive more than a physical rotational or platter problem.

All the bsod errors you posted usually points to Memory or hard drive. We know the memory is good because the same issue occurs with both machines and you only swapped the hard drive and the issue followed you.

I would advise getting a new drive and copy the data off to the new drive.

Rich,

Thanks for the input. I'll try cloning the drive and see what happens. Maybe it will boot just fine off a different drive. I will let you know the result of that.

I still find it hard to believe that the failure of this drive was a complete coincidence though. When I finish copying my data over, I plan to format the "bad" drive and try a re-install. I'll let you know the result of that as well.

• Staff

Keep me posted.

If it was just the hard drive and no bsod off the cd then i would dig deeper. But getting a bsod when booting off cd then this hard drive has to be poisioning the ide bus electrically to cause that. It's the only thing that makes sense with all your descriptions. If you still had the issue but no bsod on the cd boot then we could look at a software issue or mbr etc with the hard drive.