Need help please, cannot open any .exe

pap008

Hi so I cant open any .exe file except for AVAST AV which is scanning my entire system very slow, but Im not sure it will take care of my problem. I keep getting the stupid popup window "Security Warning- Application cannot be executed. The file mbam.exe is infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus software now?" It obviously trying to gett me to purchase their fking AV. Sorry Im a little steamed here. I cannot get any av/malware/adware/spyware program to open except AVAST which I downloaded today after this all started happening.

I also tried to open the "exefix_vista" and merge it and it told me this Security Warning- Application cannot be executed. The file regedit.exe is infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus software now?"

Im on WIN 7, please help, I tried running in safemode but all my stupid HP laptop will let me go to is the recover safe mode screen, it will not go into the actual windows safe mode like my previous computers would do. I already tried to do system restore but that failed it wont run.

What can I possibly do, before I do a recovery? Im still running the AVAST full system scan, hopefully something comes up but I doubt it. Thank you in advance.

Hello pap008! Welcome to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forums!

My name is Borislav and I will be glad to help you solve your problems with malware. Before we begin, please note the following:

• The process of cleaning your system may take some time, so please be patient.
  • Follow my instructions step by step if there is a problem somewhere, stop and tell me.
  • Stay with the thread until I tell you that your system is clean. Missing symptoms does not mean that everything is okay.
  • Instructions that I give are for your system only!
  • If you don't know or can't understand something please ask.
  • Do not install or uninstall any software or hardware, while work on.
  • Keep me informed about any changes.

Step 1

Please download and run the following tool to help allow other programs to run. (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com)

There are 4 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.

Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as Admin

You only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

1. rkill.exe
  2. rkill.com
  3. rkill.scr
  4. WiNlOgOn.exe
  5. uSeRiNiT.exe
  6. iExplore.exe

Please post the log in your next reply.

Note: The log can be found at the root of your installed hard drive entitled rkill.log

Step 2

• Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Go to "Update" tab and select "Check for Updates". If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Go to "Scanner" tab and select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediatly.

In your next reply, please include these log(s):

1. RKill log
  2. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware log

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!