"system tool" virus

PsyCoNo

Hi,

I have the "System Tool" popup that won't go away. Endless pop-ups from that saying certain files are infected. Also, it has replaced my wallpaper with one that says "WARNING! YOUR'RE IN DANGER! YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED WITH SPYWARE!" It goes on... I can run Malwarebyes in safe mode and it removed something but the problem is still there. In addition, I can't run McAfee. Thanks

Noah

Hello PsyCoNo! Welcome to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forums!

My name is Borislav and I will be glad to help you solve your problems with malware. Before we begin, please note the following:

• The process of cleaning your system may take some time, so please be patient.
  • Follow my instructions step by step if there is a problem somewhere, stop and tell me.
  • Stay with the thread until I tell you that your system is clean. Missing symptoms does not mean that everything is okay.
  • Instructions that I give are for your system only!
  • If you don't know or can't understand something please ask.
  • Do not install or uninstall any software or hardware, while work on.
  • Keep me informed about any changes.

• Download OTL to your desktop.
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed to let it run uninterrupted.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top change it to Minimal Output.
  • Under the Standard Registry box change it to All.
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply.

Once OTL has completed its first scan it will save notepad copies of the scans in the folder that OTL was started from. Unless set to produce an Extras log it will only produce OTL.txt in subsequent scans.

A copy of an OTL fix log is saved in a text file at

• :\_OTL\Moved Files
    • in most cases this will be C:\_OTL\Moved Files

Step 1

I see the Ask Toolbar in your log.

I strongly recommend you remove Ask Toolbar from your computer because:

• It promotes its toolbars on sites targeted at kids.
  • It promotes its toolbars through ads that appear to be part of other companies' sites.
  • It promotes its toolbars through other companies' spyware.
  • It is Installed without any disclosure whatsoever and without any consent from the user whatsoever.
  • It Solicits installations via "deceptive door openers" that do not accurately describe the offer; failing to affirmatively show a license agreement; linking to a EULA via an off-screen link.
  • It makes confusing changes to user's browsers -- increasing Ask's revenues while taking users to pages they didn't intend to visit.

You can read more about Ask.com here

To remove it:

Click Start-->Control Panel-->Programs and Features

Click on the program name AskBarDis to highlight it

From the menu at the top, select Uninstall or Remove.

Please reboot the computer.

Step 2

I also see you have Viewpoint installed...

Viewpoint Manager is considered as foistware instead of malware since it is installed without users approval but doesn't spy or do anything "bad". This will change from what we know in 2006 read this article: http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3561546

I suggest you remove the program now. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove the following programs if present.

• Viewpoint
  • Viewpoint Manager
  • Viewpoint Media Player

Step 3

• Run OTL.exe
  • Under Custom Scans/Fixes post the following script:

:files
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\cOjAo06301
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\*.tmp
C:\Documents and Settings\Noah Recording\*.tmp

:Commands
[purity]
[emptytemp]
[resethosts]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered,when it is done it will say "Fix Complete press ok to open log"
  • Please post that log in your next reply.

No problem, duturtle!

PsyCoNo,

• Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Go to "Update" tab and select "Check for Updates". If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Go to "Scanner" tab and select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediatly.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5342

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

12/17/2010 9:05:00 AM

mbam-log-2010-12-17 (09-05-00).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Objects scanned: 162619

Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 29 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 2

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

McAfee can not update even after help from their tech support? This is not tech support!

1. Please download Junction.zip and save it.
  2. Unzip it and put junction.exe in the Windows directory (C:\Windows).
  3. Go to Start => Run... and copy/paste the following command in the run box and click OK:
    cmd /c junction -s c:\ >log.txt&log.txt& del log.txt

4. A command window opens starting to scan the system. Wait until a log file opens. Copy and paste or attach the content of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!