Terminate Internet Explorer during removal

Could someone kindly explain this setting to me? --> Terminate Internet Explorer during removal.

It is unchecked by default. Is there a good reason for checking it?

I searched for this topic, as I am sure it has been covered previously, but I was unable to locate the info I need.

Appreciate any help.

Could someone kindly explain this setting to me? --> Terminate Internet Explorer during removal.

It is unchecked by default. Is there a good reason for checking it?

I searched for this topic, as I am sure it has been covered previously, but I was unable to locate the info I need.

Appreciate any help.

Sure there is, although I "Always" Shut-Down any Running Programs when doing a Scan. It's there to Protect Absent Minded people from Running a Scan and finding something Either in Internet Explorer or Attached to it when Explorer is Running. This is Probably not the Exact Answer, but I think you get the Gist of what I'm getting at.

If Malwarebytes Finds something, and you decide to "Remove" it. You could Break Internet Explorer, hence, a Repair Install might be needed. :)

Ken:

It's there to Protect Absent Minded people from Running a Scan and finding something Either in Internet Explorer or Attached to it when Explorer is Running.

If that is the case then I don't understand why this setting isn't checked as a default? Perhaps a better way of posing my question would be, why is the default setting unchecked? Why would a user want Internet Explorer be left running during removal?

• Staff

Closing IE was the default for while but with the addition of some powerful deletion tech it was changed to an option .

In the past having IE open could prevent certain malware from being removed but that is no longer the case . Currently MBAM has two low level drivers that delete malware pre and post reboot , I know of no malware that has ever existed that could bypass both of our drivers , in memory or not .

We kept it as an option in case it is ever needed again .

If that is the case then I don't understand why this setting isn't checked as a default? Perhaps a better way of posing my question would be, why is the default setting unchecked? Why would a user want Internet Explorer be left running during removal?

Before you mentioned it, I never gave it a second thought. I supposed the Developers always assumed Users would Shut Down Internet Explorer before running a Scan, but gave the Users the Option to (Put a Check in the Box) to Shut it down in case they forgot.

I have to agree with you though. It should have a Check-mark in the Box by Default. I guess the Developers think that everybody is as Smart as they are. NOT!!

Edit: Sorry Mr. Administrator, (Bruce). You Posted a few Seconds before me. No Offence intended.

Ken:

In the past having IE open could prevent certain malware from being removed but that is no longer the case . Currently MBAM has two low level drivers that delete malware pre and post reboot , I know of no malware that has ever existed that could bypass both of our drivers , in memory or not.
Thanks, Bruce. Now I understand.