Trojan:Win32/Vundo.gen!R

Hello- Back in July my PC was infected with the Trojan:Win32/Vundo.gen!R what was strange was that I had Norton installed, they wouldn't help me remove the virus unless I paid for the $89 support. Anyway, then I installed the Microsoft LiveOnecare and it removed it - I subcribed to the 90 days trial. However, last week my PC started acting strange with messages Turn on automatic udpate, turn on firewall - messages that I had the Trojan again... so it seemed that I was infected while I was supposedly protected!!! ;)

I removed and reisntalled the LiveOncecare with no results....saw in the Consumer report about Bitdefender how good their product was....removed the LiveOnecare and installed the Bitdefender....the pc was still acting slow wouldn't get to the internet unless I was in Safe mode. Bitdefender put me on hold for ever and wouldn't respond to my numerous emails with samples of screen shots and other info they had initially requested from me.

Sorry- for this long email....started googling the virus and came across a forum that recommended Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to remove the Trojan. It seems to have removed it...my PC is running smooth...but I still have on the system tray the icon telling me that my firewall is turned off and I have no virus program.

I was hoping to get some advice from this forum about what I should install on my PC. I presently have the Malwarebytes- I have selected to test protection....is this all I need to be protected from viruses? Do I need a separated software for firewall? ;) Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hi mmv and welcome to Malwarebytes. So nice of Symantec :unsure: They are gaining fame an notoriety for their poor customer service. Is the Windows Security Center giving you this warning? Or malware? Do you have anti virus and firewall? You do need both on top of MBAM. If you want to be sure your free of infection go here and follow the instructions, then start your own topic in that forum.

Hi mmv and welcome to Malwarebytes. So nice of Symantec :unsure: They are gaining fame an notoriety for their poor customer service. Is the Windows Security Center giving you this warning? Or malware? Do you have anti virus and firewall? You do need both on top of MBAM. If you want to be sure your free of infection go here and follow the instructions, then start your own topic in that forum.

Thank you - JeanInMontana. I will follow your link. What Antivirus and Firewall do you recommend?

Thank you - JeanInMontana. I will follow your link. What Antivirus and Firewall do you recommend?

If you are using this computer just for home use Avira AntiVir is free and works great, and it isn't a resource hog. I used to be a big fan of AVG free, however the new version of it caused me to look elsewhere. I think Avira Antivir actually got some kudos from a magazine for one of the top free AV programs.

I've always used Windows Firewall, can't comment on its effectiveness

I use Avira AntiVir on my real old PIII and it works well.

I use it to test things and right now I'm testing IE8 beta2 and it works well but it sure does things differently than IE7 but then it is a beta release after all.

Windows firewall is OK but its not a good outbound firewall.

I have a hardware firewall that is built in with the SpeedStream 6520 DSL modem supplied by my ISP that provides inbound protection but no outbound but after watching the 10 minute MBAM developer interview I have decided that a software firewall is a waste of system resources for me:

http://www.besttechie.net/2008/08/20/malwa...loper-interview

I use and recommend Avira free for antivirus and OnlineArmor firewall, free. The Windows firewall does not alert to out going traffic and that is often your first clue of malware.

If you are using this computer just for home use Avira AntiVir is free and works great, and it isn't a resource hog.

Doesn't matter if at home, at work or at play, Avira is a great AV program.

I use and recommend Avira free for antivirus and OnlineArmor firewall, free. The Windows firewall does not alert to out going traffic and that is often your first clue of malware.

Doesn't matter if at home, at work or at play, Avira is a great AV program.

Well what I mean is that AntiVir free edition is for home use only, anything else like commercial use (to include educational) you are supposed to pay for a license :unsure: