Cant Update, error opening application

wolffy12

I cannot update my malwarebytes. I have searched and tried various solutions in the forums. I have installed and reinstalled several times using the mbam cleaner and everything. Also when I go to the about page in the application and I click on the website button, it says error opening application. I receive the message " mbam_error_updating(12007

,0,winhttpsendrequest) I am using internet explorer and avast virus ( i allowed mbam in all my exlusion lists)

Hi wolffy and welcome -

Here are some steps to diagnose this update issue:

Please do this first -

Step 1

Click on this link and let me know what it says. It should be just a 4-digit number in the upper-left corner.

Step 2

Please download and run the traceroute utility at this link. It will run a traceroute to our update servers to see if it can find the connection issue, and then it will write it to a log, and open that log in Notepad when it is done. Please either save the log as a Text File and then attach it to a reply, or copy and paste it into a reply, and I will forward it on to our server guy.

Note that it may take several minutes to run, and it may look like it is not doing anything for a few minutes. Normally it takes longer when there are errors that it has to log, but it's rare for it to go more than 10 minutes.

Step 3

Please download TCPView from Microsoft at this link.

This utility will monitor everything that is accessing the Internet or your local network. All you have to do is run TCPView, and then run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and start the update. Watch TCPView to see if mbam.exe shows up in the list. It will be pretty obvious, because it highlights it in green.

I need to know what "Remote Address" Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is trying to connect to. Once it shows up in the list, you can right-click on the line for mbam.exe, and select 'Copy' in order to paste it into a reply. It will tell me what I need to know. Below is an example of what the line you are looking for will look like inside the following code box:

mbam.exe:3656	TCP	vista-x64:52135	cdn-208-111-168-7.ord.llnw.net:http	ESTABLISHED

Please post your response soon -

Thank You -

Hi wolffy and welcome -

Here are some steps to diagnose this update issue:

Please do this first -

Step 1

Click on this link and let me know what it says. It should be just a 4-digit number in the upper-left corner.

Step 2

Please download and run the traceroute utility at this link. It will run a traceroute to our update servers to see if it can find the connection issue, and then it will write it to a log, and open that log in Notepad when it is done. Please either save the log as a Text File and then attach it to a reply, or copy and paste it into a reply, and I will forward it on to our server guy.

Note that it may take several minutes to run, and it may look like it is not doing anything for a few minutes. Normally it takes longer when there are errors that it has to log, but it's rare for it to go more than 10 minutes.

Step 3

Please download TCPView from Microsoft at this link.

This utility will monitor everything that is accessing the Internet or your local network. All you have to do is run TCPView, and then run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and start the update. Watch TCPView to see if mbam.exe shows up in the list. It will be pretty obvious, because it highlights it in green.

I need to know what "Remote Address" Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is trying to connect to. Once it shows up in the list, you can right-click on the line for mbam.exe, and select 'Copy' in order to paste it into a reply. It will tell me what I need to know. Below is an example of what the line you are looking for will look like inside the following code box:

mbam.exe:3656	TCP	vista-x64:52135	cdn-208-111-168-7.ord.llnw.net:http	ESTABLISHED

Please post your response soon -

Thank You -

Thanks fot the fasy response.

In step one It opens a new window and says cannot display this page.

step 2. results attached

syep three. mbam does not appear anywhere in tcpview as well noyhing highlights except the first time i ran it a svchost went red but not sure which one, didnt stay highlighted and never did it again. I attached yexy of what appears after trying to update.

traceroute_malwarebytes_cdn.txt

tcp_view.txt

Hi again -

(Quote from GT500) =

Item 1 shows you are being blocked (most likely from your router) -

Failed traceroute log shows a DNS issue, and it's possible that your DNS settings have been hijacked. If you connect to the Internet through a router, then I would highly recommend that you reset it to it's factory default settings by holding the 'Reset' button on the back of the router until the power light starts blinking. This will clear all of the settings, including DNS settings, and reset them to the factory defaults, which should resolve the issue.

Please note that you will need to set the router back up after performing this reset.

Also, if you know how to check the router's DNS settings manually, then you can change the DNS settings in the router to resolve the issue without resetting it.

Please try this and post back later -

NOTE : Do you think there may be any infections on this computer at this time ??

Thank You -

Please use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page so you do not fully quote all the last directions -

Oh man your great. Resetting my router worked. I have been at this for 6 hours !!

And yes there is something in my computer but my virus program isn't picking it up. I tried the a couple of other things but cant find it. I have faith in malwarebytes though, never let me down beforee (till now) and i give it to all my friends to use. Thanks again.