Malwarebytes - Quick Scan - Fresh Format Questions

#1) Windows XP SP3 running on a Quadcore 2.66 with 2 GB ram

#2) This is a fresh format\install on a Virtual Machine, Microsoft Virtual PC 2007.

I like to tweak things by nature so I decided to tweak my install process. What good is a computer if you can't make it do what you want it to do :)

Here is my problem.

Installing with the bought WinXP cd, quick and full scan run to completion

Adding a partial WINNT.SIF file to the install, quick and full scan run to completion

Adding the WINNT.SIF that I would like to add is where I get problems. ie: Quick Scan hangs while scanning one of three files that I have noticed so far.

C:\pagefile.sys

C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1482476501-113007714-1708537768-1003\INFO2

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\desktop.ini

After 5 minutes or so I usually stop it in disgust but I have let it scan for over two hours on the same file. The timer keeps counting up but you can see it is still scanning the same file.

Disabling "Scan FIlesystem Objects" under settings allows the quick scan to complete.

Running Full Scan has always completed.

I can post\attach my WINNT.SIF file\s if needed, the one that works and one of the many attempts that don't.

For those that don't know, a WINNT.SIF is simply an answer file to tell Windows which language, OEM settings, Serial code among other things to use when installing.

Simply open with notepad

I have tried many times to get this fixed on one of my regular PC's but have since gone to using Virtual PC for my testing.

Note: This is using the free version of Malwarebytes, I do have the paid version on an install with a similar install disc with the same problems.

Flash scan works to completion

Quick scan hangs on C:\RECYCLER

Full scan works to completion.

Any help is very much appreciated, Thank You

Please download DebugView from this link, and follow the instructions below to get me an error log:

1. Download DebugView. Make sure to save it on your Desktop instead of clicking 'Run' or 'Open'.
  2. Right-click on the 'DebugView' file that you just saved on your Desktop, and select "Extract All".
  3. Open the new DebugView folder that was created on your Desktop after extracting.
  4. Windows XP and 2000 users should double-click on the file named 'Dbgview'. Windows 7 and Vista users should right-click and select "Run as Administrator".
  5. Click on the 'Capture' menu, and select everything except "Log Boot" (you will have to open the menu again after clicking to select an item).
  6. Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and run the same scan you were trying to run before.
  7. After the scan freezes, wait a couple of minutes, and then switch back to DebugView and click 'File' and "Save As" in order to save the log to a file on your Desktop.
  8. Please attach that log file to a reply so that we may analyze it for errors.

There are a lot of filesystem errors in that log related to not being able to find index entries for files. I think you need to run a check disk, and in this case I would highly recommend running it from the Windows Recovery Console.

Here is a link to instructions on running a check disk from a Windows Recovery Console CD. Please try to ignore the ads that they have in the instructions.

After running Disc Check which as near as I can tell found nothing wrong I do still have the same hang up.

Picture of DOS window for Check Disk included.

New log file generated after check disk.

I aborted the scan at.

00000310 134.38607788 watchdog!WdUpdateRecoveryState: Recovery enabled.

Everything after that was waiting for Malwarebytes to abort so I could exit, it seemed to take longer this time than normal but that's highly subjective as I have never timed it.

Debug_Log_Next.zip

post-48756-1281477195_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I could not find a way to edit my previous post.

This is a log that was taken after another fresh format\install. Quick Scan does complete from the same virtual machine with only a couple minor (IMHO) edits to my answer file (WINNT.sif).

It shows lots of errors as well but quick scan completes without error or hangup.

Maybe it will help you determine what the problem is.

Thank You

Debug_Log_QuickScanRunsWithoutHanging.zip

I installed on VM Player last night with the same results. I also built a new PC last night with pretty much the same specs as the one I have been testing on. Intel Quad Core Q8400, XP SP3 Pro, 4GB ram. My first attempt quick scan hung. On my second attempt it all seems to be going well. I changed a few lines in my WINNT.SIF and it seems to have worked. I just wish I knew for sure just which lines it was so I could make sure to never put them in that way again. :(

Thank You for all your help.