Opinions please.....BetterPrivacy

goldhound

I have been using this Firefox addon for about a year now and like the way it works. Simple, seamless, and seems very efficient at removing flash cookies (LSO's) and tracking cookies.

I have not had a problem with this addon and wonder if our resident experts or anyone else has a different opinion?

BetterPrivacy

I have been using this Firefox addon for about a year now and like the way it works. Simple, seamless, and seems very efficient at removing flash cookies (LSO's) and tracking cookies.

I have not had a problem with this addon and wonder if our resident experts or anyone else has a different opinion?

BetterPrivacy

Wayne,

It is a universal (Mac/PC/Linux) add-in and has the Softpedia seal..

..of approval. Do you use NoScript as well?? Between the two you should be safe. :D

Steve

Steve, i have Noscript, and Adblock Plus as well.

I use NIS 2010 for my AV. I gave up on Norton many years ago but this laptop was a gift from my wife a year or so ago and came with a 3 year subscription to NIS which worried me, but i kept my mouth shut not wanting to seem ungrateful.

It is light on resources and i have not had a single problem with it. That being said, my MBAM pro may have something to do with that........ :D

Wayne

I also use BetterPrivacy and AdBlock Plus with no issues. :D

I also use Ghostery which at present time is blocking 102 cookies :)

And do not use any toolbars, none. I use SpeedDial

Just like bookmarks but a lot simpler to deal with, for me anyway :)

So far as what antivirus software you have, don't think that matters as long as you have our old buddy Mbam Pro in the mix :D

EDIT: Ghostery is a Totally manual choice, no cookies are blocked unless you choose to

Steve, i have Noscript, and Adblock Plus as well.

I use NIS 2010 for my AV. I gave up on Norton many years ago but this laptop was a gift from my wife a year or so ago and came with a 3 year subscription to NIS which worried me, but i kept my mouth shut not wanting to seem ungrateful.

It is light on resources and i have not had a single problem with it. That being said, my MBAM pro may have something to do with that........ :blink:

Wayne

I forgot; I have AdBlock Plus as well. And I went ahead and installed BetterPrivacy after you mentioned it today and I read up on it. As for NORTON (and McAFEE) I paint it/them with the same brush; resource hogs. My wife has McAfee on her Win7 but ONLY because I got it as a FREE 1-year subscription from our BOA account. I've tried several (AVG, Avast!, and a few others) but am currently on my 3rd year with Vipre Antivirus (still waiting TWO months later for a tech support response to a problem I had - So I'm not too happy that MBAM is hooking up with them.) as it's the only antivirus with email scanning that DOESN'T strip (and delete) the body from some of my HTML email; I use PocoMail (many years; beta tester as well) and it shows email differently and has its own built-in HTML rendering engine. (Sorry; I digress :D)

I've got Vipre, OnlineArmor, MBAM Pro and SAS Pro and no problems; in fact, since I got OnlineArmor (firewall) MBAM IP protection never even goes off. :)

Since we don't pirate games, videos or music, Wayne, I think we are safe. :) :)

[...] Ghostery [...]

I'm afraid to mess with my cookies as every time I do I lose bank, board, forum, amazon, etc, et al info that I have to fill out again on the next visit. :)

Steve/Shy

My wife has McAfee and it IS a resource hog. NIS 2010 is definitely not a problem with resources, even has a built in CPU resource meter and never slows me down even when it is scanning. Much different than the old Norton thank heaven! Mind you our computers have WAY more RAM these days also.

That being said i still would not buy it as i swore never to after they messed up two of my machines several years back and gave me double talk along with BS excuses! With so many others available and just as good, both free and paid, i will bail when the subscription ends.

I've found Better Privacy to be a pain. Kept reporting that no flash folder was found. I usually had flash installed. Ghostery isn't too bad. I kind of like it.:)

@ShyWriter-

Are you running the premium version of OA? I have the free one, which seems to do very well.:) Zone Alarm 9.2 just came out. Thinking of trying it.:)

Edit: Seems it works now.:) Had to have FX install flash player via immunet.com not by downloading flash.:)

[...] That being said i still would not buy it as i swore never to after they messed up two of my machines several years back and gave me double talk along with BS excuses! With so many others available and just as good, both free and paid, i will bail when the subscription ends.

Yeah; when the free year is up on the wife's McAfee I'm putting a freebie on there. She only uses AOL and doesn't visit any odd sites so I may just put MSE on hers.

@Buttons Are you running the premium version of OA? I have the free one, which seems to do very well. [...]

I paid for the Online Armor Pro and I love it. You can even add white/black-lists to it from 3rd party sources. Very nicely done..

Shy

Yeah; when the free year is up on the wife's McAfee I'm putting a freebie on there. She only uses AOL and doesn't visit any odd sites so I may just put MSE on hers.

Shy

I'm going to do the same for my mom. Once McAfee goes out later this year, I'm removing it for MSE.:)