AVG 8.5 hELP!!!!

dkinkley

Okay, before we go any further, please try the help offered on this helppage from the AVG website:

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum...4013#post_44013

Let me know how it goes!

One more thing.. I THINK I may have found an answer as to those error codes... did you accidentally try to install a 64 bit version of AVG?

You can tell because usually the installer will have 64 in the name of the .exe file.

Up until this point, has your AVG been running correctly, updating correctly, and scanning correctly?

And are you POSITIVE that you are running a 32 bit windows?

go to your control panel and click on whatever the icon is that gives you information about your computer. (I can't remember what the name of it is for Vista but hopefully you know what I mean).

You did run the 32 bit installer that I gave you the link to, correct?

so it sounds like everything is okay here now? (at least in terms of these error messages that you are getting)

Let me get this right, you installed a 64 bit version of AVG instead of the 32 bit?

Okay, so you have no AVG program currently installed or running on your computer then?

Which version did you end up determining that was installed? It might help to run the uninstaller once more, I can give you the link again if you need it.

What did Malwarebytes quarantine? Don't delete them for now but do LEAVE them in quarantine. If Malwarebytes asked you to restart afterwards, did you do so at the prompt? This is very important to do.

Would you like to continue on with using AVG or would you like some other recommendations? Have you EVER had any other antivirus software installed on this computer?

Also, are you looking for a free or paid version of an antivirus?

The prompt would be telling you that you need to restart in order to fully remove whatever items were found. Malwarebytes will ask you to do this if you need to restart in order to completely remove items.

So your computer didn't come with a trial of Norton or McAfee or something? Reason I am asking is because as well as completely removing AVG, if you did previously have any other AV products, it would be a good idea to run removal tools for those programs as well.

There is nothing in Programs (uninstall programs) that says Norton or Symantec still, is there? If so, you should remove those BEFORE running the removal tool.

dkinkley,

I'll be around about another two hours and then I won't be back on till tomorrow some time most likely...

If you aren't on before I leave for the evening I'll be posting some antivirus recommendations for you... as you should not be without an antivirus!

I will leave you with this for now, and let me know if you have any questions about anything :unsure:

The following are my recommendations for antivirus protection along with links to downloads for them (free trials for those that require a purchase so you can try them before deciding):

Note: If you decide to use one of the trial versions of one of the paid antiviruses then you will either need to purchase it or uninstall it completely and install a replacement antivirus before the trial expires so that your PC is not left unprotected.

MSE Downloads:

Definitions Installers:

Note: if installing the definitions in Windows Vista or Windows 7 you MUST right click the definitions installer and select Run as administrator and click Continue at the User Account Control prompt.

I can't uninstall AVG 8.5 IT KEEPS COMING UP SAYING THIS!!!

Error: @AvgErrorCode_0x0253 %FILE% = "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8"

@AvgErrorCode_0x0020

So I may be a bit late with this as it appears as though you have removed AVG and are considering another AV? In which case please disregard the following. The below is information about your error number and the possible solution if you are still keen to use AVG:

Please see http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum...how&id=3161 from the AVG free forum - it is about common installation problems . Scroll down to number 14 where I believe the error number is the same as yours. This is what they say:

Installer initialization failed due to following error:

Error: @AvgErrorCode_0x0253 %FILE% = "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8"

@AvgErrorCode_0x0020

=> This installation error is mostly caused by upgrade to AVG9 and system restore back to AVG8. Side effect is impossibility to download any file. Please remove this file from AVG program folder:

"C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgoff2k.dll" (for 64bit systems "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG8\avgoff2k.dll")

And follow AVG reinstall procedure on this threads:

- AVG 8.5

- AVG 9.0

(You'll need to go the website I have linked to above to see the live links for instructions for reinstalling versions 8.5 and 9.0 - I don't think I can make them live links in the quote box above).

If you cannot find the file it tells you to remove in the instructions for this error, you may have to "enable hidden folders to be seen". (Post back if you need instructions for this)

Is this AVG free you are trying to download? If you are a freeware customer the AVG free forum users may also be able to assist: http://forums.avg.com/au-en/avg-free-forum

If you are trying to install a paid product (which includes a 30 day trial) you may contact AVG support for help with this problem. Go to avg.com and click on support > contact technical support.