Malwarebytes not starting up

I searched for this on the web, and I have similar problems, to some of the people that have posted, but I cannot get Malwarebytes to run.

I renamed mbam.exe to winlogin.exe. It still wouldn't start. Oh yeah, I get the "Run-time error '0'". When I click Ok, I get the "Run-time error '440' Automation Error". I also loaded ProcessExplorer and couldn't find a process running, maybe I jsut couldn't figure out which I was looking for.

Anyway, I have included my HJT log. I am pretty sure I have the latest versions, of both.

hijackthis031510.txt

Hello jimfive and welcome to malwarebytes.org

Please try the fix in Section A, ISSUE 15 of the FAQ here:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

Please let us know whether or not it solves the problem.

By the way, renaming mbam.exe to winlogin.exe is only normally used to get Malwarebytes to run on an infected computer. If you believe you may be infected with malware, please print out, read and follow the directions here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9573

Try to complete all the steps, but you can skip any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7

If your computer is un-bootable and you cannot run any of the steps, just post a description of the problems you are having there.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Ok, I did the fix in section A, #13 (actually), and that worked. I did have an attack on my system of that standard fake virus software crap, and I never actually clicked on anything, hoping I wouldn't enable it. So, after a little cleanup, I removed that from pop up, and I had to change my proxiy server settings for IE (I guess it set that up), and it would not allow Malwarebytes to run. So, I am not sure how it did it, if it did, but I was able to fix the problem. Why did that occur, and what did you have me run? Were those files removed from the Registry? I will run a full scan and post any errros that pop up.

Thanks,

Jim

All that fix does is register some dll and ocx files that are required for Malwarebytes to run properly. Dlls can become unregistered for various reasons, such as software uninstalls or registry corruption, etc.

Anyway, I'm glad it's working OK now. :(

If you require any further help with malware removal, just follow the directions I posted above and one of the expert helpers will assist you as soon as possible.