WinIFixer Problem

Hello, I have a problem with an older computer caused by the malware WinIFixer. I've read the articles on how to uninstall this program, bu have run into a problem.

First, I manually deleted the WinIFixer folder off the C drive by selecting the file in the program folder and deleting it. It stopped most of the problems, but I still cann't select ANY executable files. So, when I try to download a spyware program, it will download to the desktop, but I have no way of opening it. I am relatively green to computers and would really appreciate it if someone could walk me through what steps I need to fix it. I have my tax information on this computer and would lke to at least salvage it. Thank you and hope to hear from someone very soon!

Karl

You can not double click a file? Did you open Internet Explorer on that computer, or are you writing from another computer? Please try running this file,

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip

Thank you for the help. I ran the file and from there was able to select icons run a spyware program. I actually tried to download some programs from the infected computer, but WinIFixer would automatically transfer me to their website no matter what I typed in the search or address bar. I ended up downloading some programs on another computer and transferring it to the infected PC by disc. But, once on the infected PC, I wasn't able to open it due to the fact that I couldn't double click a file or run anything from the command prompt. So, the file you gave me helped immensley. I may need some additional help tomorrow, but for now you've been a HUGE help. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Karl