old media files moved to new computer

hawes

i moved all of my old media files from my old computer and im worried if some have any type of malware since some are really old and in those days i didn't really think about malware because i was really naive 2007-2001. I dont want to delete my old files and i scanned them with avast, avira, a-square, nod32, trend micro, g data, prevx, superantispyware, malwarebytes, adaware all came up clean but is this enough to let me know that they are really clean and dont have anything so i can keep them

Hello hawes, and welcome to the forums here at Malwarebytes.org ;)

Honestly, if all those scans came up clean, those files are more likely than not clean. Are you noticing anything weird or out of the ordinary happening on your system since you transferred the files?

You don't have more than one anti-virus installed on your system though, do you?

As a side note, when replying, please use the "ADD REPLY" button at the bottom of the page.

Thank you :)

Hi hawes and welcome to malwarebytes'!

I think you should be safe if all those found nothing. One last thing to make sure is to upload them to virus total as see what it says. Virus total makes a copy of your files to upload and checks a wide range of security software databases to see if anything related is found. If nothing is found then you should be safe. ;) Also what security software are you using? The reason I'm asking is if you are running all of those that is majorly unsafe. You should never have more then one anti-virus at one time on your computer. Unless most of these are online scanner's such as nod32 trend micro(house call version).

http://www.virustotal.com/

Hello hawes, and welcome to the forums here at Malwarebytes.org ;)

Honestly, if all those scans came up clean, those files are more likely than not clean. Are you noticing anything weird or out of the ordinary happening on your system since you transferred the files?

You don't have more than one anti-virus installed on your system though, do you?

As a side note, when replying, please use the "ADD REPLY" button at the bottom of the page.

Thank you :)

no everything is fine thats kind of what worries me because you never know. I have alot of av's on my computer but just 1 running always

Hi hawes and welcome to malwarebytes'!

I think you should be safe if all those found nothing. One last thing to make sure is to upload them to virus total as see what it says. Virus total makes a copy of your files to upload and checks a wide range of security software databases to see if anything related is found. If nothing is found then you should be safe. ;) Also what security software are you using? The reason I'm asking is if you are running all of those that is majorly unsafe. You should never have more then one anti-virus at one time on your computer. Unless most of these are online scanner's such as nod32 trend micro(house call version).

http://www.virustotal.com/

i can't use virus total because isn't it capped for file size? alot of my files are well over 40mb

Hawes,

Please use the ADD REPLY button at the bottom of the page when replying or erase what the person you are replying to said.

Well, I would recommend uninstalling all but one anti-virus program but if you really want to keep them all... make sure that you disable the realtime/resident protection on ALL but one antivirus program of your choice as they can coflict with each other and actually LOWER the security and protection of your system.

Malwarebytes and Superantispyware are not antivirus programs though, so you can leave those be ;)

Yeah, it's scary out there.

I can tell you though that lots of music and picture files were transferred off of an old computer (Windows 98) onto our current computer, and I have run AVG scans on it (my old AV), Malwarebytes, and Kaspersky (my new AV) as well as a virus-only scan from Kaspersky, as well as SpyBot scans and they all came out clean. And I mean normal scans, not scanning all the time.

Not to say that our situations are the same, but, the old computer probably didn't have the best security setup on it either :)