Malware Defense Removal - Update!

I battled for 3 1/2 hours today removing malwaredefense - and others - that apparently came down at the same time; trojan.fakeav, coreguardantivirus2009, trojan.dnschanger, rootkit.tdss et al..

Looking now, after the battle's over, to the mbam guide forum where the removal help for malwaredefense is posted - that would not have worked for me today. Why? Because mbam would not install or run, and my other heavy hammer - combofix would not run either. I'm assuming that malwaredefense and its attendant cocktail of nasties have mutated since the writing....

The solution was to follow the 'structions at another site with the word bleep in it. 'twas the renamed exec that did it. Mbam made enough progress with this renamed exec (NOT the install exec) that, in spite of the malwaredefense "cocktails" returning again and again after reboot, it allowed combofx to run.

Thanks again for mbam for paving the way.

Discuss here for more info. thanks and hope this helps.

oh, and what's the general feeling or knowledge about that site with the word bleep in it?

I know they know serps. I know they have some useful information on it. There appears to be a foundation of integrity. The combo thing works great too.

Why on earth do I have some reservations about that site? Can anyone help me pls.?

thanks.

I'm glad that you were able to solve your problem, Kernel Krumpet :)

I think you should take a visit into the Malware removal forum, though, to make sure that you are all clean, after following the directions here.

And I think you're thinking of www.bleepingcomputer.com :) As far as I know, its part of the Malware Removal schools, and it is a well-respected site :welcome: Just ignore all the ads, such as StopZilla, etc... (google ads).

Also, as a side note, when replying, please use the "add reply" button or erase what the person you are replying to said, as this makes the forum easier to read.

I think you are referring to the bleepingcomputer site? its a great site, lots of helpful people there and I know they host classes on malware removal and reading HJT logs too, its probably one of the best sites on the web for help on a wide range of tech subjects plus I believe they have people on there that invented combofix and the dds log which is more thorough than the HJT log so no need to feel uneasy about that site at all.

I battled for 3 1/2 hours today removing malwaredefense - and others - that apparently came down at the same time; trojan.fakeav, coreguardantivirus2009, trojan.dnschanger, rootkit.tdss et al..

Looking now, after the battle's over, to the mbam guide forum where the removal help for malwaredefense is posted - that would not have worked for me today. Why? Because mbam would not install or run, and my other heavy hammer - combofix would not run either. I'm assuming that malwaredefense and its attendant cocktail of nasties have mutated since the writing....

The solution was to follow the 'structions at another site with the word bleep in it. 'twas the renamed exec that did it. Mbam made enough progress with this renamed exec (NOT the install exec) that, in spite of the malwaredefense "cocktails" returning again and again after reboot, it allowed combofx to run.

Thanks again for mbam for paving the way.

Discuss here for more info. thanks and hope this helps.

Good Lord Man, you could have formatted the hard drive and reinstalled the O.S. in less time....