I have completed all the logs as per your instructions - please help!!

SH99

• Staff
thanks for all the help. Things seem to be running ok now, no adverts/pop-ups have appeared. I ran a malwarebytes anti-malware scan just to have a check on things and the following 2 files came up with the vendor Adware.MyWebSearch - are they ok?

C:\Program Files\MSNMessenger\riched20.dll

C:\SystemVolumeInformation\_restore{98E46F0A-9DA1-4258-92C4-7CCAE5D21E6E}\RP378\A0092926.dll

I know some checked the messenger one in an earlier post but we dont use msn messenger so is it safe to delete?

Thanks

The first file is not malicious at all and if you don't use the MSNMessenger you can uninstall it via the add\Remove control panel.

The second is located in system restore and of no threat, unless of course you use sys restore. We can clear that out tho so the scan no longer picks it up by clearing out sys restore points, by simply turning it on and off.

You must be logged in as an Administrator to do this. If you are not logged in as an Administrator, the System Restore tab will not be displayed.

Turning off System Restore will clear out all previous restore points.

To turn off Windows XP System Restore:

NOTE: These instructions assume that you are using the default Windows XP Start Menu and have not changed to the Classic Start menu. To re-enable the default menu, right-click Start, click Properties, click Start menu (not Classic) and then click OK.

• 1. Click Start.

2. Right-click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties.

3. Click the System Restore tab.

4. Check "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives" as shown.

5. Click Apply.

6. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click Yes to do this.

7. Click OK.

8. Restart the computer and follow the instructions in the next section to turn on System Restore.

To turn on Windows XP System Restore:

• 1. Click Start.

2. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

3. Click the System Restore tab.

4. Uncheck "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives."

5. Click Apply, and then click OK

Then you can set your own custom restore point:

• Click the [Start] button, then select All Programs, then Accessories then System Tools and finally System Restore.

• Click Create a restore point, and then click Next.

• In the text box labeled Restore Point Description, type a name for the restore point.

• Click the [Create] button and you should get a box saying 'Restore Point Created'.

• Close System Restore

All done.

• 2 weeks later...

Since this topic has been resolved it will now be closed. Many thanks to TeMerc for your help.

Note: the fixes in this topic are for this system only. Applying them to your system can cause severe damage and result in utter system failure. If you need help start your own topic and someone will be happy to assist you.