Quick Scan and add?

That's ok I'm pretty cluey at this stuff too ;)

Now is the malware just sitting in there? Or is it in a folder, or is it zipped up?

Edit function at 50 posts - sorry

I put it there to test to see if MBAM would see it during a Quick scan and it does not only on a full scan! The malware is not a problem it's an .exe just sitting there not Zipped and not active so I'm OK!

TH

Yes I know

If you wanted it removed you would have to go to another sub forum here anyway

But I am interested in why a quick scan has not picked it up, but a full scan has

I don't believe you need to "add a folder" What needs to happen is Malwarebytes finds it (during quick scan)

Can you try copying it to C:\Windows temporarily, and then see if Malwarebytes "Quick" scan finds it?

Do note: Malware is usually destructive, and things like copying and moving etc (especially to the Windows folder) can be classed as critical

But if you want to further test, I'd be highly interested in the results

Yes I know

If you wanted it removed you would have to go to another sub forum here anyway

But I am interested in why a quick scan has not picked it up, but a full scan has

I don't believe you need to "add a folder" What needs to happen is Malwarebytes finds it (during quick scan)

Can you try copying it to C:\Windows temporarily, and then see if Malwarebytes "Quick" scan finds it?

Do note: Malware is usually destructive, and things like copying and moving etc (especially to the Windows folder) can be classed as critical

But if you want to further test, I'd be highly interested in the results

I just asked a simple Question to the Developers of MBAM on adding the default Download folder to Quick Scan They know what I mean!!!!!! It's seems you don't understand!

Cheers,

TH

The answer is: Quick scan checks every folder

As I stated already (1st reply)

But since its an archive (ie Zipped up) Then its likely that "Quick scan" is not seeing it. Especially since it is not an issue all zipped up (Note: I'm referring "Zip" as RAR)

And yes I understand, and yes I have now worked out why.

So thanks ! For your feedback.

EDIT:

YES userprofile\downloads (sorry you don't understand that!

EDIT2

From what I gather, its a WinRAR archive EXE extension, that's holding an ISO archive which is then holding malware. Incredible. ;)

The answer is: Quick scan checks every folder

As I stated already (1st reply)

But since its an archive (ie Zipped up) Then its likely that "Quick scan" is not seeing it. Especially since it is not an issue all zipped up (Note: I'm referring "Zip" as RAR)

And yes I understand, and yes I have now worked out why.

So thanks ! For your feedback.

EDIT:

YES userprofile\downloads (sorry you don't understand that!

The zipped one is another file that is password protected so MBAM does not scan that one but the other is NOT zipped! A full scan sees it OK and Quick does not so you are mistaken about all folders are scanned during a Quick scan it would take to long that is why I'm asking if they can ADD it to the Quick scan module!

Thanks and Good Night!

TH

There is no need for that malware to be detected, as its all archived up (ie like Zipped up) and its password protected too !

Thank goodness Malware has not been designed to run like this. Because we would need even more protection (like full scans)

But obviously Malware doesn't do this, and therefore a Quick Scan is all that is needed, oh and if a User archives malware a couple or more levels down with password protection, they should also realize that they don't need it scanned on their computer !!

Good night.

EDIT

Oh, also the other one looks to be an image or ISO (note: there are many possible extensions of images, likely ISO), which is also an ARCHIVE

EDIT2

As I read over this thread, I will say that its very strange seeing your signature (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals) Obviously not so professional! I wouldn't recommend them myself if they don't know all the basic stuff I mentioned above.

Malwarebytes does scan the default download folder in Vista. But it doesn't necessarily scan all the SUB-folders within that folder. I'm not sure about Windows 7, though. But I would guess that MBAM would scan the Windows 7 default download folder as well.

You could try copying qdown_inst.exe out of that sub-folder into the default download folder and see if MBAM finds it then.

Look that's just confusing

Here's a quote from a longish thread I asked about Quick Scan:

There's nothing wrong with running the Full Scan as it does no harm, it just takes longer. I do recall this being addressed once by one of MBAM's developers where they said something to the effect that the Full Scan is there because some users would demand it, based on the idea that MBAM is like every other file scanner out there, which clearly it is not.

In my opinion, the Full Scan option should be removed. If you notice post #9 is from Bruce Harrison, one of MBAM's primary malware researchers and one of the creators of Malwarebytes' detection database. The .01% would be dormant traces, such as those that might be contained within a System Restore point, which should not be disinfected by any scanner as it would likely render the restore point useless. A better method for that type of cleanup would be to disable System Restore, reboot, turn System Restore back on then create a clean restore point. But again, anything in SR would be dormant, not active.

My point in that entire thread was, does Malwarebytes scan everywhere, and the answer was yes 99.9%

The quick scan will find any malware that's active on the system that MBAM is capable of detecting. The only real usefulness of the full scan is detecting the occasional trace that get's missed by the quick scan, and even that's pretty rare. According to one of the developers the quick scan catches 99.9% of the malware that MBAM will detect.

And now you are saying > No that's not right

?

Please "verify" this yourself ;)

A Quick scan, scans everything on the system drive

EDIT

I mean that is scans for all known infections reported by Malwarebytes, so it scans for the infections, not every file. Which ironically is the exact same result > everywhere on the system drive

Malwarebytes does scan the default download folder in Vista. But it doesn't necessarily scan all the SUB-folders within that folder. I'm not sure about Windows 7, though. But I would guess that MBAM would scan the Windows 7 default download folder as well.

You could try copying qdown_inst.exe out of that sub-folder into the default download folder and see if MBAM finds it then.

Hi Mark,

I did what you suggested and it does indeed detect it in the Default download folder but not inside the extra folder in the download folder! So my Question has been answered!

Thanks,

TH

Hi Mark,

I did what you suggested and it does indeed detect it in the Default download folder but not inside the extra folder in the download folder! So my Question has been answered!

Thanks,

TH

No problem, Triple Helix. I'm glad I could help. :D

I'm living in a cuckoo clock :D

The question has not been answered ;)

I already asked you to copy it somewhere else

You stated that you wanted to add another folder

I asked where it was located, possibly in its own unique folder?

Oh well thanks marktreg, I should have mentioned that too ;) Oh wait I did

So Triple Helix, are you now saying the quick scan works after all? From copying it to the Default download folder?

I wonder if someone should ask the question can you add a folder to Quick scan (obviously defeating its purpose by the way;))

Oh well, I guess we'll never know that answer. Although I did repeat myself a few times during this topic

A quick scan is all that is required

Sorry I couldn't provide any help what-so-ever ;)

edit

At least we know it scans %userprofile\downloads folder :D