No More Internet Sound

Idaho

Greetings! I just joined on the advice of Marcin. I hope one or more of you can help me solve this before I resort to spending $$$ at the local PC shop.

Several weeks ago I had rogueware coming in like a bad thing. Installing Rogue Remover helped get it under control. I was also using Computer Associate's (CA) Anti-Virus, Anti-Spam suite. Anyway, somewhere along the way I lost the ability to hear sounds coming in from websites like You Tube. It gets weirder. If you're interested in helping, please read on.

Marcin advised me to install CCleaner. I did and ran it. It cleaned out a lot even though I also previously installed and ran PC Optimizer. This PC had Realtek HD Audio installed when I bought it. I erased and re-installed the Realtek HD audio file & drivers. My problem persists.

1. I don

Go to the HP website and download the latest drivers for the RealTek sound device you have installed - it is possible that the PC optimizer installed an incompatible version of the RealTek drivers on your system and it is actually messing up your system....

Thanks. I did go to Realtek's site and downloaded what I think is the correct and latest driver. Still, I will go to the HP website. I haven't investigated anything there, as yet. So, I'm off in search of a compatible Realtek driver.

Go to the HP website and download the latest drivers for the RealTek sound device you have installed - it is possible that the PC optimizer installed an incompatible version of the RealTek drivers on your system and it is actually messing up your system....

The problem with downloading a RealTek driver is that it may or may not work, depending upon the implementation of the Realtek HW and it's interaction with the chipset. I don't know much about recent HP computers, as I haven't had a new HP or Compaq since 2000, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it is going to be a very specific driver from HP that will work....

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I have a similar problem having had a series of trojan vundo attacks.

I have Avast anti virus, spyblaster, spybot search and destroy and spyware doctor.

and malwarebytes. I have run all of these several times and it appears that I have finally removed

all of the crap that was on here. I have run Registry Mechanic and jv16 PowerTools. Only I think

whatever trojan I had has actually started deleting the good file as well as the bad.

I now have no sound. I have tried reloading the drivers but doesn't want to know.

this PC is only 3 months old. quad core processor, same sound drivers as idaho.

I also have lost the quick start section, lost desktop shortcuts. I have been using

Daemon tools for ages but it no longer even starts.

Can this be fixed by a technically challenged person or is it going to cost me millions. :angry:

regards

schizochick

Hi guys,

I have a similar problem having had a series of trojan vundo attacks.

I have Avast anti virus, spyblaster, spybot search and destroy and spyware doctor.

and malwarebytes. I have run all of these several times and it appears that I have finally removed

all of the crap that was on here. I have run Registry Mechanic and jv16 PowerTools. Only I think

whatever trojan I had has actually started deleting the good file as well as the bad.

I now have no sound. I have tried reloading the drivers but doesn't want to know.

this PC is only 3 months old. quad core processor, same sound drivers as idaho.

I also have lost the quick start section, lost desktop shortcuts. I have been using

Daemon tools for ages but it no longer even starts.

Can this be fixed by a technically challenged person or is it going to cost me millions. :angry:

regards

schizochick

Hi and welcome to Malwarebytes. Please follow the instructions here http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7 in the topic Pre-HiJack This! Posting Instructions.