Anybody have this Firefox problem?

goldhound

VIsta 32 bt Dell Studio 1535

Since the 3.5.4 update and now the 3.5.5 update i get a "Windows cannot find xxxxx, make sure you typed the name correctly and try again" when i click a desktop HTML icon. Then Firefox opens the page over top a couple seconds later. Seems that it is trying to open twice.

Does not happen in IE8.

I know several other folks with the same problem.

I uninstalled FF 3.5.5 and installed an old version, same problem. All addons and plug ins are compatible and FF does not do this in safe mode. I created a new FF profile, no joy there. I do not have Google toolbar addon either as it can cause problems with new FF platform they say. Disabling all addons does not help.

I understand that editing some registry files is a possible cure but i am not thrilled about doing that given my inexperience.

All this happened when Firefox and Windows updated on the same day, Oct 26th - ish i believe. I have NIS 2010 and it also updated a bad patch the same day which was withdrawn a couple days later. This patch conflicted with Firefox's Norton extensions. Norton has now reissued the updated patch and i have the Safeweb and IP 2.0 back working and compatible. I originally blamed Norton for this problem but then found that others with the same FF problem did not use Norton :)

Can anybody help? Thanks in advance!

@ goldhound

I wish I had an answer for you but I don't :)

Have you tried posting in the Firefox forums for help? I've posted there a couple times and they are pretty friendly and helpful, and there are also a lot of topics in their Knowledge base too that you can search for :D

I can give you a link if you need it. Typically though, you can get there by going to Bookmarks > Mozilla Firefox > Help and Tutorials

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out :)

@ goldhound

I wish I had an answer for you but I don't :)

Have you tried posting in the Firefox forums for help? I've posted there a couple times and they are pretty friendly and helpful, and there are also a lot of topics in their Knowledge base too that you can search for :)

I can give you a link if you need it. Typically though, you can get there by going to Bookmarks > Mozilla Firefox > Help and Tutorials

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out :)

Thank you mountaintree16 :)

It is mostly an annoyance and not an issue of performance or even security. If Firefox is already running there is no problem, when it is started just an extra step to close the pop up. Firefox does occasionally crash on exit but no issue restarting.

I used the Mozilla help forum and got no answer. Found a few possible fixes on my own by searching the knowledge base, none of which worked and the registry edit fix has several versions that do not work either.

Rather strange that disabling all addons and extensions does not help but Firefox works fine in safe mode. More recent scans with MBAM, SAS, and my AV NIS 2010 find nothing.

Mozilla has more problems than usual with these new versions but seem in no hurry to either acknowledge or fix the problems and Microsoft is doing their best to "accidentally" sabotage them as usual. Sad because Firefox has been such a huge benefit to safe web use for the average user these past few years.

I haven't had any issues with FF. Am running 3.5.5 with no script, adblock plus, betterprivacy, keyscrambler, and WOT.

My wife sits across the room from me, identical laptop, bought at same time, same programs except she has McAfee and i have NIS. She has no problem. A couple friends have the problem also, both HP laptops, one has Trend Micro, the other Norton 360, we all have Vista 32bt and all with Firefox 3.5.5..... Hmmph!

I will sort it out eventually :)