exe. files stopped working

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets try uninstalling combofix and getting a fresh copy.

• Click START then RUN
  • Now type ComboFix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.
    • Combofix_uninstall_image.jpg

Download Combofix to something like a thumb drive from any of the links below but rename it to ABCD.exe before saving it.

Transfer the file you just downloaded, to the desktop of the infected computer.

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

Link 1

Link 2

Double click on the ABCD.exe ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.

• When finished, it will produce a report for you.
    • Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt so we can continue cleaning the system.

Okay so I got a fresh copy of ComboFix.exe, and nothing happened. Not even the little box that asks me if I'm sure I want to run this program opens. Perhaps I didn't find all the files needed to properly uninstall? I only found two of the four folders you told me about.

But I am curious, how is my computer doing? Are things looking pretty good or bad? Do you know what the problem is?

But I am curious, how is my computer doing? Are things looking pretty good or bad? Do you know what the problem is?
If you look at what combofix removed, you'll see alot of infected files. Some infections takeover system files / programs so they don't run.

When you download combofix did you save it as ABCD.exe before downloading?

Lets see if we can get this to work.

Download Dr.Web CureIt to the desktop:

• Doubleclick the drweb-cureit icon to start the program.
  • press start
  • Allow the program to run the initial express scan
  • This will scan the files currently running in memory. If something is found, click the YES button when it asks you if you want to cure it. This is only a short scan.
    Note: A pop up may appear during this phase suggesting you purchase their program - click the X at the top right corner of this pop-up to close it.
  • Once the scan is complete, the results will be displayed
  • on the menu bar, click file and choose report list.
  • Save the report to your desktop. The report will be called DrWeb.csv
  • Note:this report will need to be renamed to Dr.Web.txt in order to post it on the forum.
  • Close Dr.Web Cureit.
  • Please post the Dr.Web.txt report in your next reply

If you're not able to get it to run, try this.

Pay a visit to the Kaspersky Online Scanner 7 - I.E. is preferred for this scan.

• Read the Information panel and then click Accept.
  • Allow the ActiveX download if necessary.
  • Both the anti-virus engine and database will need to be downloaded, which may take a little time.
  • Once this has been completed, select My Computer from the Scan section on the left hand side.
  • Put the kettle on!
  • Although it is recommended by Kaspersky that you should disable your anti-virus scanner before starting this scan, it should work OK with it still active - it does on my PC.
    Although you may find the scan speed increases if you carry out this step, I never like to disable my resident scanner while online, so I don't.
  • When the scan has completed, click View scan report at the bottom.
  • Click Save Report As...
  • Enter a name for the file in the Filename: text box and then click the down arrow to the right of Save as type: and select text file (*.txt)
  • Click Save and pick a location for the file - the Desktop is always handy.

Copy and paste the report into your next reply along with a fresh HJT log, run in Normal Mode, and a description of how your PC is behaving.

Note for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble with the accept button of the licence, click on the Zoom tool located at the right bottom of the IE window and set the zoom to 75 %. Once the license accepted, reset to 100%.