Malware Bytes scan dyes 2 seconds after starting

I got bitten this afternoon by the virus Security Tools. I followed the instructions given on the www.bleepingcomputer site and downloaded Process Explorer. I was able to stop the related process by renaming the program to iexplore. I downloaded Malwarebytes to finish the process, but every time I get to the screen to launch the scan, the program aborts after 2 seconds. (One of the forum posts suggested changing the malware bytes program name to "winlogon." However, there seems to be a permission problem that doesn't allow change of name on this file.)

I have tried removing the program (uninstalling) but have not been able to remove mbamext.dll due to either permission problems or "program still in use" message. I am at my wits end as to what to do next because I can't get the virus cleaned out of the system.

I have reviewed many of the posts on this forum and have a win32kdiag text file available if required. I've downloaded Combo-Fix but have not run it due to the warnings on this site.

Could somebody advise me what to do next?

(Windows XP with service pack 3)

Thank you,

Jeane

Hello Jeane, and welcome to Malwarebytes.org :)

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.