Notified AVG

Dear Sirs,

Sorry , but I have officially complained to AVG about your antimalware scanner. I had tried to download it about a week ago just to test it for a friend, a senior who does not have time for aggravation. AVG flagged it as a trojan. I then followed the forums here and noticed that some users were fianlly able to download the malwarebytes scanner.

I updated my AVG and also was able to download it.

I ran a scan in safe mode and it found nothing (which is OK)

The scanner would not roll the files like normal scanners but reported them in "chunks" or blocks every 80 or so files.

My PC them slowed right down to a standstill. (I downloaded the free version).

I promptly uninstalled the malwarebytes anti-malware scanner (which went well) but PC was still slowed right down like molasses.

I then did a system restore which brought some semlance of normalcy to my #1 terminal until , now, that my Terminal #1 DSL modem is totally defunct, will recursively poll, disconnect .. etc...

I really get very disconcerted when I am trouble shooting problems for people and I run into this type of difficulties, with vendor reslution yes, vendor resolution no!! problems!!

I downloaded malwarebytes in good faith.

Now I am wondering why AVG unflagged it's false positive ??

It is a lot of uneccessary downtime.

Thanks for listening.

Pe'ed off ,

Regards, Franco

Just a note on the DSL prob.

I think I have a cable problem there or some other hardware prob.

I''m not trying to denigrate malwarebytes scanner. I just don't know what happened to my PC after I installed and uninstalled it.

Dear Sirs,

Sorry , but I have officially complained to AVG about your antimalware scanner. I had tried to download it about a week ago just to test it for a friend, a senior who does not have time for aggravation. AVG flagged it as a trojan. I then followed the forums here and noticed that some users were fianlly able to download the malwarebytes scanner.

I updated my AVG and also was able to download it.

I ran a scan in safe mode and it found nothing (which is OK)

The scanner would not roll the files like normal scanners but reported them in "chunks" or blocks every 80 or so files.

My PC them slowed right down to a standstill. (I downloaded the free version).

I promptly uninstalled the malwarebytes anti-malware scanner (which went well) but PC was still slowed right down like molasses.

I then did a system restore which brought some semlance of normalcy to my #1 terminal until , now, that my Terminal #1 DSL modem is totally defunct, will recursively poll, disconnect .. etc...

I really get very disconcerted when I am trouble shooting problems for people and I run into this type of difficulties, with vendor reslution yes, vendor resolution no!! problems!!

I downloaded malwarebytes in good faith.

Now I am wondering why AVG unflagged it's false positive ??

It is a lot of uneccessary downtime.

Thanks for listening.

Pe'ed off ,

Regards, Franco

It was recommended in another forum to run it in safe mode, plus, I wanted to see how it performed there.

Another anomolous thing which happened is that when it came to scan the avg executable files it more or less hung for about 5 minutes (I tried to get a snapshot of this but the way your GUI is set up it would not allow me).. so .. what I can do is try to emulate the problems once again, get the screen shots and send them to AVG and Malwarebytes respectively (that means more free volunteer work on my part). I hope it is appreciated.

I also understand that the free version in not memory resident. I do not believe I included that in my complaint.

Thanks a bunch.!

Franco.

The free version of Malwarebytes does not load memory resident components so it cant slow your system down . There is never a need to run a Malwarebytes scan from safemode unless you are unable to scan from regular mode .

I downloaded MBam again, scanned AVG and no problems. Looks like it healed itself.

It would be nice if the log file would indicate that I scanned the AVG directory.

My apologies.

Regards,

Franco

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41

Database version: 3034

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

10/26/2009 6:51:16 AM

mbam-log-2009-10-26 (06-51-16).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 361

Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 40 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

It was recommended in another forum to run it in safe mode, plus, I wanted to see how it performed there.

Another anomolous thing which happened is that when it came to scan the avg executable files it more or less hung for about 5 minutes (I tried to get a snapshot of this but the way your GUI is set up it would not allow me).. so .. what I can do is try to emulate the problems once again, get the screen shots and send them to AVG and Malwarebytes respectively (that means more free volunteer work on my part). I hope it is appreciated.

I also understand that the free version in not memory resident. I do not believe I included that in my complaint.

Thanks a bunch.!

Franco.

@ franco -

If you visit the AVG forum (like this one) you will find that they reccomend Malwarebytes as a program to remove malware -

They have said that their product is antivirus only and this program is for malware that is not removed by theirs - ;)

I was there 2-3 days ago and there was 2 references then to use MBAM as a safe scanner to use with theirs - If you still have any problems with conflicts between the two, make sure both are currently updated and try a scan then visit AVG's forum to discuss any problems -

Please post back if you have further problems - :blink:

@noknojon,

As I had wote in my post, "It looks like it healed itself." But this was not it's first behaviour.

That behaviour appears to have been resolved. I also know the difference between malware/virus - but AVG DOES pick up a lot of slack malware that other malware scanners may miss. I do no see AVG with very many f/ps.

Good to see some resolution.

Then this my message is formal reply to withdrawl of complaint to AVG.

I will work with navigation on Malwarebytes.

AVG Rocks !!

Regards my friend.

@ franco -

If you visit the AVG forum (like this one) you will find that they reccomend Malwarebytes as a program to remove malware -

They have said that their product is antivirus only and this program is for malware that is not removed by theirs - :)

I was there 2-3 days ago and there was 2 references then to use MBAM as a safe scanner to use with theirs - If you still have any problems with conflicts between the two, make sure both are currently updated and try a scan then visit AVG's forum to discuss any problems -

Please post back if you have further problems - :)