Picked up a virus on my laptop! Help please

GAK

Hi I have a Sony laptop which is about 5 years old. Last week I think I picked up a virus and my laptop is now very slow and won’t let me into lots of pages.  I managed to download malwarebytes (I think) but I can’t seem to access it to run it! I’ve tried for days to get into it and I am very close to throwing it out of the window! I desperately need help please ..... I’m not very good with technical stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance. 

Hi,   @GAK      :welcome:
My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.
Let me know what first name you prefer to go by.

Please follow my directions as we go along.  Please do not do any changes on your own without first checking with me. 
If you will be away for more than 3 consecutive days,  do try to let me know ahead of time, as much as possible. 

Please only just attach   all report files, etc  that I ask for as we go along.

Please understand that some minimum amounts of tools & scans & reports will be needed from your machine.   There is no single one-shot-magic.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system. 
The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft 
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Let me know the result of this.
The log is named MSERT.log  
the log will be at  %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log   which in most cases is
C:\Windows\debug\msert.log
Please attach that log with your reply.

Hello thank you for your message my name is Gabrielle. 25 minutes ago no I tried once again to run the threat scan this is the screen I am not sure how to get out of it because the bar at the top of the screen doesn’t look like it used to prior to the virus!

This is a screen shot of what I can see. 

73A754AC-4DB4-4FB7-B277-592E8AD9E2D0.jpeg

A Threat scan should be around 20 minutes or less, depending on the speed of the hardware.

Be sure you understand that this version shown here is a older version.   Version 3.6.1  is old.    The current release of Malwarebytes for Windows is 4.1.0

With the exception if your machine runs Windows Vista or Windows XP.   Those run the older version.

What is the Windows version on this machine ?

Hello Maurice,

I left my computer on overnight and it looks like it has almost finished the threat scan and so far has identified 8 threats. It keeps stalling and buffering and you can see from the screenshot below it says it has only been scanning for 11.37 minutes although been on overnight! Any suggestions what to do .... should I leave it to continue? 

thanks Gabrielle 

AAE780A5-B1EC-450E-A7FE-9E709192852E.jpeg

Hi, Gabrielle.

From your images that show the Windows taskbar, this pc looks to be running Windows 10.

When Malwarebytes for Windows has finished the scan phase.  be sure all line items listed  have their check-box on the left marked with a tick mark

and then click on Quarantine selected.

Please let me know after this has been done.

[   2   ]    NEXT

I would appreciate  getting some key details from this machine in order to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Do have patience while the report tool runs.  It may take several minutes.  Just let it run & take its time.  You may want to close your other open windows so that there is a clear field of view.
Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.5.4.760.exe  to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
    Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Please also understand that we will need to get the version of Malwarebytes for Windows  updated to the very latest Version 4.1.0

The version currently in use here is quite old.

Hello Maurice,

My scan completely disappeared off my screen so I didn’t get as far as the quarantine part! I then managed to open a google page and opened the Microsoft Safety Scanner but I can’t seem to get it to download the safety scanner please see the image below. 

I was wondering if there is anything else I can do? 

Regards Gabrielle 

image.jpg

Hello 

I don’t think you are receiving all my replies ... thank you for all your help I sent you a reply with the (second photo) current page on the screen no edge on there just the D browser but I think that’s a virus ..... Chronium?? 

That screen has disappeared now is the first photo! 

Thanks Gabrielle 

98E2EE22-8F7E-4C11-8A70-5FBA7B469C0E.jpeg

image.jpg

Caution.   EDGE is not something one "downloads".   Your machine runs Windows 10  therefore it already has the EDGE browser.

The browser you were using had a lock condition  or rather a freeze-up   /   that is the meaning of program not responding.

I did get all your replies.   I did try to read all.

Restart Windows  just to get a new Windows session.   That would help out by a lot.

I would like to have you run a report tool known as FRST. This has no personal information. It is a well-known & widely used &safe.
FRST will help provide me with a list of installed programs and other information about your computer that will help me see if there are any other problems that are not being detected. Please follow the steps below to run FRST.

1: Please download FRST from the link below and save it to your desktop:

"Download link for 32-Bit version Windows"

"Download link for 64-Bit Version Windows"

Please wait and look toward the top or bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save.
Click Save to save the file version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Run report with FRST

Right-click on FRST icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

_Windows 8 or 10 users will be prompted about Windows *SmartScreen protection* - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen._
Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

image.png.5d47975010636d1d032768cefa8d6625.png

The tool will produce 2  logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt 
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.
Thank you.

Edited by Maurice Naggar
corrected mis-spellings

Hello Maurice 

I am responding to you from my phone as I can’t get into my emails on my laptop so I can’t just click on the links you sent to me. I have closed down and restarted my laptop again this morning and I will attempt to open my emails again to try and carry out your instructions to download FRST. As soon as I have managed to do that I will send you any results.

My screen keeps freezing so it’s already taken me an hour to try and open Google chrome to get into my email account. 

I will persevere again today and see what happens. I really appreciate you helping me. Fingers crossed I get somewhere with it today! 

kind regards 

Gabrielle 

Hello, Gabrielle.

You mentioned you use Chrome to get to your email.  Here is how to start the Chrome browser in a safer mode.   Just please take your time as you go about it.

If you  have  Chrome,  & want to use it then you may start it in a very special minimal startup.

Get to the Windows RUN option by doing what follows.

Press & hold the Windows-icon-logo key on keyboard & then tap the  R  key

That should get you the RUN option box

In there, type in what follows verbatim   ( as-is  ).   You may use COPY then Paste

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe -incognito

and tap ENTER-key to have it proceed.

Then, if that works, you should see a incognito window for Chrome - - -  which means a session of Chrome without any add-ons or extensions.

Hello Maurice 

I did exactly as you said but this came up! (See attachment)

it then took me back to the ‘run’ box (second attachment) but it is typed in exactly as you said! Any suggestions? 

thanks Gabrielle 

444F0FBF-484E-4C89-9F74-957AAEADED80.jpeg

image.jpg

Hello Maurice 

I have been wondering  when you will be next online? I see you are in USA so a different time zone to me here in the UK! 

I am really desperate to try and rid my computer if this virus as I’ve had it since 14th April and need to get back on it for work. Nothing so far you have suggested seems to work! I would be really grateful if you could tell me when you will be online so I can be here at the same time! 

thank you 

Gabrielle 

Hello Gabrielle.

I notice once more that this is a Windows 10 operating system.  That does have the EDGE browser which you could use.

That can be started in a special way if you cannot find it easily.

Go to the Taskbar of Windows 10 and look at the Serach box.  In the Search box type in

EDGE

Then look for the resulting display.  Click on the image where it  lists ( shows) Microsoft EDGE.

That is one browser you may use.    Microsoft EDGE is also listed under the M section of the Windows 10 Start menu.

It looks to me like something was missing from the command-line  that was pasted in   ....when the goal was to start the Chrome browser.

Chrome browser is also accessible  ( if you cant locate normally) via the Search box of Windows 10 taskbar.

In the search box, type in

chrome

and look for the tri-color Chrome icon and the words Chrome app

NOTE:  I am a volunteer here.  I am not on all the time.   I am in the US  Central time zone  ( same as Chicago time).   But again, the times I am on varies.

I want to see if perhaps you could run a couple of tools for me.

[  1   ]

Please download Rkill from one of the following links and save to your Desktop:

One, Two,Three or Four

• Double click on Rkill.
  • A command window will open then disappear upon completion, this is normal.
  • Please post the log

Note: If your security software warns about Rkill, please ignore and allow the download to continue.

But whatever happens, be sure you go ahead and do the following steps  for sure.   Thanks.

[     2    ]    Please keep going ir-regardless and do this one here.

As I had noted before  ( I believe)  the version of Malwarebytes for Windows now on this machine is quite out of date.

Please try uninstalling and reinstalling Malwarebytes for Windows using the Malwarebytes Support tool. 

Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023473-Uninstall-and-reinstall-using-the-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.  
Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install.

Let me know  how this goes, please.

Thank you in advance for your patience.

Cheers.

You need to be on this topic on your Windows pc  for the purpose of getting things moving.   Please do that ....even if the pc may be slow.

The links I gave you will work on your pc   as long as you are logged into this forum  on your Windows machine.

Let us please do that.

slowness can be dealt with later.

Edited by Maurice Naggar