Remove "There is a recommended update for this PC..."

Hi,  @clearmyskies    :welcome:

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

Is this display on its own frame?  or, is it shown inside the frame-display of Chrome browser ?

Use one or another of these keyboard keypresses to get the window Closed.

Press and hold CTRL key and then tap the W key

Press and hold the ALT key on keyboard & then tap the F4 function key.

Then close any and all Chrome tabs that are open, if any.

Then

start Chrome, press the control-menu icon on the top far right of the address bar 

then select HELP

then select "About Chrome"    and let it check for Chrome updates.

[ Another way to get there is to Copy and Paste this whole line into the Address bar of the Chrome]

Getting rid of bogus screen (s)

You can easily use keyboard key-press shortcuts to get rid of the false pages displayed. ( see below). And if there is any video with this, it will stop when the page is closed.

When this fake is in the foreground and in a web browser, there are many ways to get it off the screen.
I would suggest to do a few keyboard presses to get rid of the windows on-screen.

press and hold CTRL key on keyboard and then tap W key. CTRL + W 

That should close the Tab page of the web browser in the foreground.
You can repeat as needed.

Every web browser will recognize the CTRL+W key-presses as a "close this window" command.

Other ways to get rid of screen:
Press and hold ALT-key on keyboard and then tap the F4 function key a to get the foreground windows closed and done away with. ( repeat use of ALT + F4 sequence). 

image.png.0461bed1f4faffcc77d62d18025a4d17.png

ALT + F4 is especially helpful against the smaller window ( if any) that is up in front.
If your machine is a notebook or laptop, you should depress and hold the ALT + FN (function key) + F4 keys.

[ 2 ]

Close all opened programs / & app windows.

then

Let me suggest you do a CUSTOM scan on the whole C drive !

Open Malwarebytes

Click the Settings menu followed by the Protection tab.

Scroll down to Scan Options and turn the Scan for rootkits setting on.

Next, click the icon button at left marked SCAN

Then, from the 3 panel choices, click on the middle one marked CUSTOM

( IF you see a summary white screen with a green check, click on the Close X spot on the right side so you get to that out of the way & then click Scan button on the left & then Custom scan on the middle selected .)

Then click on Configure Scan button

be sure the Scan for rootkit on left is ticked

Be sure to click on the box marked C on the right.

You want to scan the whole C drive.

Then click Scan Now button.

Then see what the result is.

Hello,

It is good to know you did the 2 scans.

I would like to see those 2 run logs, along with some other detail.  I would like to see what the removed items were and from where.

Also, as we go along, each time keep me advised about that "pop up 'update' screen"....whether it is now gone away.

I would appreciate to get additional information from this machine in order  to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.4.0.615.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Thank you.

Thanks for the reports.  The most recent scan is much better than the preceding one.

As to Chrome ( chromium) there are traces left on this machine.   This next run is meant to remove those traces.

This  is for clearmyskies  only.

Please Close and save any open work files before you start this next step.  It may involve a Windows Restart at the end of it.

I am sending a   custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRSTENGLISH tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE AS and save it directly ( as is) to the Downloads folder

The tool named FRSTENGLISH.exe  is already on the Downloads folder.

Start the Windows Explorer and then, open the Downloads folder.

Double click FRSTENGLISH

to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

FRST_Fixl.png.c4c1c0dddcc49b11fa400590f070bd5e.png

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. Some machines take longer than others.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Kindly attach the Fixlog.txt with your next reply

and

Let me know how this goes.   Let me know if the original issue is now gone.   Let me know if you need anything else.

Regards,

Maurice

Fixlist.txt

Hi.  That is good news indeed.

Thanks for the Fixlog.  That has removed remaining traces of "chrome".  Good to know that the original "popup" has gone away.

I believe we can call this a wrap.   If you need anything else at this point let me know.

I am glad to have helped.

Backup is your best friend.  I would suggest that you create a new restore point using the Windows System Restore.

and of course, doing a full system backup to offline media.

P.S.  You may delete the files I had you download, including the Fixlist.txt

Sincerely.

Edited by Maurice Naggar
additional note

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks