MBAM

First, I am subscribed to McAfee Security Center through 2010 & my OS is XP service pack 3. On 9-12-09, I started getting 'Your Computer is not protected' messages on the Security Center Home page, and a Pop-Up to scan and purchase Antivirus Pro 2010 to get rid of 'infected files'. It seemed legit & even showed up with a McAfee icon on the desktop. After more research in bleepingcomputer.com, I realize it is a scam & was advised to contact my credit card company.

When I go to McAfee Support to run MVT, it says it can't find McAfee installed products on my computer. On the Security Center Home Page, Problems stated are "real time scanning disabled, spyware & unwanted program scanning is disabled, IM scanning, Script scanning & buffer overflow are all disabled". In the configuration page, when I click on ignored problems, none of the boxes are checked. When I click the 'Fix' button on the Security Center page, it says 'One or more problems cannot be fixed because of an error'. When I click on 'Update' the update icon in the task bar just disappears after a few minutes with no additional information. When I click on 'Quick Scan' the message says 'scanning encountered a problem from which it can't recover - error starting on demand scanner'.

I have read the thread titled "antiviruspro_2010". I already had Malwarebytes on my computer but now I get a message that Windows cannot access the specified path and that I may not have permission to access the item. Malwarebytes used to work for me, so I removed it and re-installed it from the link in bleepingcomputer.com. After re-installation it starts to run and then the scanning window just disappears after about 10 seconds.

Also, what should the Windows XP security shield settings be? Where do I go from here???

Welcome to Malwarebytes! To get you fixed up I would like to send you to the HJK forum, Instructions below:

follow these instructions & post it in the HiJackLog Forum please

Scan and post logs - read note at bottom in green

If you're having Malware related issues with your computer that you're unable to resolve.

1. Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?
  2. If needed please post your logs in a NEW topic here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs
  3. When posting logs please do not use any Quote, Code, or other tags. Please copy/paste directly into your post and do not attach files unless requested.

• Please do not post any logs in the General forum. We do not work on any logs posted in the General forum.
  • Please do not install any software or use any removal/scanning tool except for those you're requested to run by the Helper that will assist you.
  • Using these other tools often makes the cleanup task more difficult and time consuming.
  • If you have already submitted for assistance at one of the other support sites on the Internet then you should not post a new log here, you should stay working with the Helper from that site until the issue is resolved.
  • Do not assume you're clean because you don't see something in the logs. Please wait until the person assisting you provides feedback.
  • There are often many others that require asistance as well, so please be patient. If no one has responded within 48 hours then please go ahead and post a request for review

NOTE: If for some reason you're unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one. If you can't even run HijackThis, then just proceed and post a NEW topic as shown in the second link describing your issues and someone will assist you as soon as they can.

Thanks yardbird, I'm replying from my friend's computer because as of last night, all my Internet websites give me the Microsoft screen "unable to conect to server" even though I can still get Outlook emails from the IPS server. Can I put HIJACKTHIS on a USB device at my friends and read it off my computer not connected to the Internet. Something on mine is running in the background because the History folder is full of visited sites. So I have the computer shut down now. I can start Windows and not the Internet. Waiting on your reply. I'm assuming that you will send an email notification as well as posting in the forum. Ken

Welcome to Malwarebytes! To get you fixed up I would like to send you to the HJK forum, Instructions below:

follow these instructions & post it in the HiJackLog Forum please

Scan and post logs - read note at bottom in green

If you're having Malware related issues with your computer that you're unable to resolve.

1. Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?
  2. If needed please post your logs in a NEW topic here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs
  3. When posting logs please do not use any Quote, Code, or other tags. Please copy/paste directly into your post and do not attach files unless requested.

• Please do not post any logs in the General forum. We do not work on any logs posted in the General forum.
  • Please do not install any software or use any removal/scanning tool except for those you're requested to run by the Helper that will assist you.
  • Using these other tools often makes the cleanup task more difficult and time consuming.
  • If you have already submitted for assistance at one of the other support sites on the Internet then you should not post a new log here, you should stay working with the Helper from that site until the issue is resolved.
  • Do not assume you're clean because you don't see something in the logs. Please wait until the person assisting you provides feedback.
  • There are often many others that require asistance as well, so please be patient. If no one has responded within 48 hours then please go ahead and post a request for review

NOTE: If for some reason you're unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one. If you can't even run HijackThis, then just proceed and post a NEW topic as shown in the second link describing your issues and someone will assist you as soon as they can.

Ken! I'm not employed by Malwarebytes! But as for your infection on your pc. your going to have to start that pc to install tools to fix it. This will be done in the Hi Jack Log Forum, where they have all the tools. I don't have your contact info. Please don't post it. Putting the HIJACKTHIS on a USB device at my friends and read it off my computer -- is not for me to say. but I can ask an expert to look at your post.

Hi kens

The infection may prevent you from running it, but yes, in general, you can run HijackThis off a USB flash drive. You don't need to run the installer. All you need is the file HijackThis.exe. Be aware that the flash drive itself may become infected when you plug it into the computer. I'm not saying it will, but it is very possible. At any rate, it sounds like you may have to shuttle back and forth between machines for a little while until the infection can at least be knocked down enough to get your Internet connection back.

Don't worry too much if you can't get any logs. Just follow the instructions in I'm Infected - What Do I Do Now? and start a new topic in the Malware Removal HijackThis Logs and one of the experts in there will work with you one on one to get this resolved. Please be patient if it takes a day or so for someone to get to you. A lot of people need help and they are very busy in there.