avsystemcare and fix-computer-problems.com

phil

I have had a problem with avsystemcare pop-ups and after being completely bamboozled by other threads describing possible solutions, I decided to try a system restore without much optimism. So far, so good albeit after a short time. During my research I came across a site, fix-computer-problems.com, which claimed to have a download to fix this problem but decided against it as I had not come across it before. If this avsystemcare returns I am worried that I am not savvy enough to go through the long procedure others seem to go through to solve the problem. Does anyone know anything about this site. Alternatively, is it likely that the spyware programs (spybot etc) will catch up with it and be able to sort it in due course?

Sorry this is long winded and rambling - I'm new to all this stuff!

It's peddling Xoftspy via affiliate rubbish + ClickBank, so I'd recommend staying away from it and trying one or more of the following instead;

Spybot Search & Destroy

http://safer-networking.org

AVG AntiSpyware

http://www.ewido.net

RogueRemover

http://malwarebytes.org

Oh dear, and it just got worse ....... you put your left mouse down, you put your right mouse up ..... and we gots ourselves another rogue folks ..., this time in the form of ErrorNuker and suprise suprise, affiliate linky via ClickBank

Screenie:

http://mysteryfcm.co.uk/misc/imgfix-comput...om_-_ENuker.gif

Welcome to Malwarebytes Phil. Your welcome to post a HJT log in that forum. MysteryFCM has given good advice. The removal procedures for you system may not be the same as for what you have read. It isn't as hard as they may sound either.

System Restore should work, unless the restore point was also infected. You should flush all the restore points around the date you got infected or all of them and set a new one.

@MysteryFCM I'm fairly sure errornuker is already in RR data base. I know it's been discussed here.

Many thanks to both of you. My mind is rather more at rest - I was on the verge of closing my bank accounts, ditching the computer, turning the lights off and putting a padlock on the front door! I now have spybot s&d on top of the McAfee suite that was already running, have removed all existing restore points and created a new one. Fingers crossed. It's ironic that my wife has nothing but the inbuilt network firewall and has had no problems while I have this supposedly bells and whistles suite and managed to get this spyware. Thanks again.

Whoa, your wife wouldn't know if she was having problems with that firewall. It doesn't alert to any out bound traffic. Someone could have complete control of the machine. Your suite is not enough, and does nothing to ward off malicious sites. These days you need a layered protection approach and caution to boot.

All reccommended programs are free and easy on system resources. You should install them as part of your protection arsenol. Keep Spybot Search & Destroy and always immunize when you update. You will also need at least one other scanning program AVG is good and there are several other excellent programs with free and paid versions. Read the overviews of what each program below does so you have an understanding of their importance and how to use.

A firewall and antivirus are also essential. The Windows firewall in XP is not sufficient.

Preform Windows Updates monthly on the second Tuesday or use automatic updates, and use your scanners weekly at the least. Always update before you scan.

SpywareBlaster from Javacool Software

WinPatrol by BillPStudios

SiteHound by FireTrust

RogueRemover

hpHosts

For an excellent list of reliable free firewalls and antivirus programs see here .

That's good to know and I'm glad to have helped. If she is a safe surfer it makes a big difference too. But regardless of surf habits a decent firewall is essential. Since this issue is resolved I will close the thread.

The advice and instructions in this topic are specific to this system. Applying it to your system can cause major damage. Start your own topic for assistance.