How to remove adware on MacBook Pro

I have a 15 inch 2017 MacBookPro. iOS High Sierra 10.13.5. Processor 2.9 GHz Intel core i7  18 GB memory. Adware has hijacked my Safari and Chrome browsers. Ran Malwarebytes and it quarantined and then deleted two files. Since then I have run Malwarebytes 3 more times and it comes back clear. But the problem still exists. I can’t reset browser in preferences that shows up initially for Safari or Chrome. Fortunately, Firefox detected the problem and blocked it. Can you help please? 

First open System Preferences and check to see if you have a "Profiles" pane. If so, let us know the name of any Profiles that are shown there.

Explain more about why you cannot reset browser preferences. Did you follow all the instructions in Can Malwarebytes resolve issues with my browser or Internet connectivity?

Hi Alvarnell,

I do have a profiles pane. Interestingly, the time/date stamp are exactly when I got the adware on my computer this morning. And--there are two files--one for Safari, and one for Chrome. Those are the two browsers that are impacted by the Adware. I took screenshots of the profiles--I had to take three in all to show you all of the information located there.

I followed all of the instructions in the link you provided. The settings for the adware are locked into Safari and I cannot delete or change them. I included screenshots for the setting for my homepage and my default search engine. The 3 dots to the right of the search engine URL do not function on the Adware listing the way they do for all of the other search engines on the list.

I have reset Chrome settings many times and it still reverts to the same homepage and search engine.

I would very much appreciate any help you can provide.

Prolfile #1.png

Profiles#2.png

Profiles#2.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 1.23.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 10.28.21 PM.png

It's clear that those profiles are responsible for both changing and locking your settings. If you know where they are located, drag them to your desktop for now in case the Malwarebytes staff wants to take a closer look at them.

I suspect you will at least need to relaunch those browsers in order to unlock the settings. It may even be necessary to log out and back in again or even reboot to unload the profiles.

Sorry I can't be more specific as I've never run across that particular infection although I've heard all about it.

Alvarnell,

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your competent assistance!  I deleted the profiles from Systems Preferences, rebooted my computer, and restarted Safari and Chrome, and the problem was solved. Chrome reverted right away back to Google as my home page and search engine, and for Safari I was able to change the setting that had been locked so it, too, now defaults to Google as my home page and search engine.

I could not figure out how to move the profiles to the desktop--but I still have the screenshots of the profiles, if anyone from Malwarebytes wants to see them. I am happy to share.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I had spent six hours trying to get the adware off of my computer, and you resolved my problem in your first sentence when you asked about the profiles pane. Amazing! ?

EveEllen