Running both exploit protection in Windows and Malware Bytes

I’m wondering about the configuration of Windows 10.

Before Microsoft ended support for EMET it was not recommended to run EMET and other exploit protection on the same PC.

But now Windows 10 has most of the exploit protection from EMET built-in.

Then this question arise:

If you have Malware Bytes 3.1 Premium on an updated Windows 10 PC should you disable the built-in exploit protection in Windows 10 to avoid conflict?

Or can you have exploit protection in Malware Bytes and Windows 10 working side by side providing double protection without any issues?

It seems so since I have been running both on the same laptop for many weeks now.

But sometimes an issue can exist on a system without showing any symptoms for a while. And then, one day, suddenly it hits you…

The manual for Malware Byte doesn't say whether you should or shouldn’t run both.

It would be nice to know if it’s OK to use both or not.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

I have the same doubts. So do other people: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/221573-malwarebytes-and-new-windows-defender-anti-exploit-features/

36 minutes ago, Salvemundum said:

Before Microsoft ended support for EMET it was not recommended to run EMET and other exploit protection on the same PC.

Actually the OP stated a really good point above.

• Staff

Hi All,

Thanks for posting. Malwarebytes' Anti-Exploit protection is compatible with the current default settings of exploit protection in Windows. Even though Microsoft has most of EMET's features built into their exploit protection, most of them are turned off by default. Leaving those settings AS-IS works fine with Malwarebytes Ani-Exploit. We are closely monitoring their updates to avoid any conflicts in the future. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Thank you crisoliv and Arthi, both your answers where very helpful. Please forgive this very late feedback.

Windows Defender and Malware Bytes are running side by side on my two laptops without any problems showing. I have not made any changes in Windows Defender at all. In Malware Bytes Premium I only turned on "Enable self-protection module early start" under the Settings - Protection tab.

11 hours ago, Salvemundum said:

Thank you crisoliv and Arthi, both your answers where very helpful. Please forgive this very late feedback.

Windows Defender and Malware Bytes are running side by side on my two laptops without any problems showing. I have not made any changes in Windows Defender at all. In Malware Bytes Premium I only turned on "Enable self-protection module early start" under the Settings - Protection tab.

Hey! Yeah, I've running both products together for months without any issue too.