Maybe an Issue

I tried to run a full scan in safe mode on my XPHome 256 RAM 2100+ CPU desktop (which has major issues) and MBAM got the old "has to shut down error, would you like MS to know" but then, DrWatson also got that error. This was about 8 minutes into the scan and an item was found. Soon after I got a BSOD, which I don't think is program related at all, but perhaps malware related. I was using safe mode because I can barely keep the system booted at all and I'm hoping it's malware and MBAM will save me a reformat.

So I rebooted into safe mode and went for the quick scan , it got through that and found a trace I removed, it was nothing I recognized. Then did an update and tried to do a full scan again with the same freeze up at the same time spot around 8 minutes and DrWatson failed too. Then the whole system went to BSOD with out getting a full system scan.

I don't know that the freeze is even a MBAM issue, but in case I thought I should post it. If you think the trace name or log is important, I can try to get it off that machine.

• Root Admin

Interesting. It has to be the malware. It does not like getting scanned and blue screens. MBAM doesn't have any low level interaction yet so it can't be causing the blue screen. Any idea on which item it crashes. Can you try to retest it. It should appear 'stuck' on an item for a few seconds then cause the error. Can you take a look at which item it is. Also, a DrWtsn log would be nice.

Open Dr. Watson and go to the logs folder. Get the log for MBAM.

I'll give it a try. I'm strongly inclined toward malware, because I can't get a scan with most programs without a BSOD and nothing detected of course. I don't think it's MBAM causing the BSOD's at all because they were happening long before it was installed. I'll try to get it booted for long enough to get the goods.

I have managed to get a copy of the Drwtsn log to the desktop, but Firefox is freezing now when I try to upload it. I swear what ever this thing is recognizes certain words like Malwarebytes or log and stops them. I might have to give it to you via MSN.

I don't know how I can. I can't keep anything running long enough to do much. I can probably get it to you in messenger if we are quick. I shut the machine down. Seems it needs to cool off after so many BSOD's. I get about 10 minutes of uptime in safe mode then things start going to hell. So let me know when you want to try that. I'm going to order a cable so I can get some stuff off there I need/want in the event I am forced to reformat.