Premium makes my computer very slow

I have had the free version of Malwarebytes for a couple of years and everything has worked fine. Yesterday I bought into the Premium version and ever since I installed it my computer either freezes or is extremely slow when I try to use it.

I'm running XP and also Avast Pro together with Malwarebytes.

What could be causing this extreme slowdown after an upgrade from the free to the Premium version?

Hello and :welcome: :

It's not clear from your post if you "activated" an existing installation or whether you cleanly upgraded/reinstalled the program.

So let's start with some routine troubleshooting:

• Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)
  • NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

I used the "Activate" button that was already there on the free version. Since it was there, and I was told by the upgrade info to use it, so I did. 

Anyway, I now did what you suggested and completely uninstalled/reinstalled it. It did help a little bit but I am not totally satisfied with the result as a whole.

I'm attaching the log files you want to be able to maybe help me a bit more. 

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

CheckResults.txt

Hi:

Thanks for those logs.

General note: MBAM Premium runs in real-time, alongside one's AV. So, that does consume a wee bit more resources than one would expect from the free, manual, on-demand version.

While we wait for a staff member or expert to review your logs, a couple of things stand out:

• I see that you have added Avast to the MBAM exclusions. Have you done the same for MBAM exclusions in Avast? If not, the instructions are below.  (ALSO: I see that you disabled Avast for the scans -- please be sure you have re-enabled it.)
  • You only have 1 GB of physical RAM -- while that meets the minimum "system requirements" to install MBAM, it doesn't leave a lot of spare capacity to run other resource-intensive applications, such as your AV and other programs.
  • There are a couple of settings changes that were flagged by the scanner -- these can sometimes be the result of malware.

As such, it might be worth taking a deeper look at the system and performing some cleanup.

Doing so might improve your performance a bit, as well as excluding malware.
That sort of work is not permitted in this area of the forum.

So, for expert assistance, I suggest that you please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the suggested preliminary steps to expedite the process.
A malware analyst will assist you with looking into your issue.
>>>As you have already run the preliminary scans, you just need to attach the same logs to a new, separate topic in the malware removal section.  Then please wait for an expert helper to pick up your thread.

Thanks,
-----------------------

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software for your version of Windows:

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

• For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe
    Note: If you are using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well.

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:
    data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

daledoc1, I forgot a few things.

Yes I did add MBAM to the Avast exclusions as well. However, I excluded not only the files described above in your post but the entire Malwarebytes folder. Is that wrong? Should I change it?

You wrote " (ALSO: I see that you disabled Avast for the scans -- please be sure you have re-enabled it.)" I just did that according to the instructions from Malwarebytes for the uninstallation/reinstallation procedures and it was supposed to come back on activated after I restarted the computer. I think it did because when I look at it now it says it's activated and all shields are on.

Hi:

It looks as if "Twin" has helped you with some cleanup in your other topic. :)

Please note: 1 GB of RAM is not very much for running an OS and today's software. 

So, there may be only "so much" that can be done to improve your performance and speed with that setup. :(

One option-- assuming that a new computer is not an option:

• If your computer's motherboard and specs will support it: add more RAM (It's very cheap these days and will likely improve performance, even with an older, slower processor).

AFTER "Twin" gives you the "all clear" from a malware standpoint, and after you have completely and cleanly uninstalled one of the 2 AVs (we would recommend that you uninstall MSE and keep Avast), you might want to start a new topic in the General PC Help section >>here<<.

The forum members/experts may be able to assist you there with upgrading the RAM on your computer.

If you do, please copy/paste both of these links into the new post, so that other forum folks can get up to speed:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/163046-premium-makes-my-computer-very-slow/https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/163057-possible-malware/

Thank you again,

Hi daledoc1,

Yes "Twin" help me clean the issues you saw in my logs. Thanks for referring me!

I now understand that I might have too little RAM for running for example the Premium version of MBAM instead of the free one. I'll check if more RAM can be added with the help from the other forum you suggestion (thanks again!).

You suggest I uninstall MSE . Isn't that Microsoft Security Essentials? If so, I don't have it installed (only Avast). Were you able to find it in one of my logs? 

Hi:

MSE:

==================== Security Center ========================

(If an entry is included in the fixlist, it will be removed.)

AV: avast! Antivirus (Disabled - Up to date) {7591DB91-41F0-48A3-B128-1A293FD8233D}
AV: Microsoft Security Essentials (Disabled - Up to date) {BCF43643-A118-4432-AEDE-D861FCBCFCDF}

I actually missed that, but Twin noticed here:

warning.gif Multiple Resident Protection warning!

Always have one (and no more than one!) AntiVirus program! In this case having more of them will not provide you with better protection - instead they may cause slowness, lock-ups and even mark another ones as harmful, leading to leave your system unstable and even damaged. Please choose only one from the listed below to stay with and uninstall the others:

• avast Antivirus
  • Microsoft Security Essentials

Uninstallation procedure:

• Press the WindowsKey.png + R on your keyboard at the same time. Type appwiz.cpl and click OK.
  • Search for each uninstalled entry, right-click it and select Uninstall.
This should be done until any other steps will be taken.

Even if it is not running in real-time, having 2 different AVs (MSE and Avast) can cause clashes, slowdowns, conflicts and other issues.

That's because of the remnant drivers.

(For the record, MBAM is NOT an AV. It is an anti-malware (AM) program. So, having ONE AV + MBAM Premium is generally fine.)

Cheers,

I still don't understand how any of you could have found MSE on my computer because I did uninstall it quite a long time ago, and the correct way through the function in Control Panel. I uninstalled MSE and installed Avast  instead at a time where it was told that MSE wouldn't be supported on XP any more (can't remember when that was).

To me, "Twins' " alert, that you cite above, is one of his standard replies /advice to issues presented, one of the things everyone has to consider and check for...not specifically me. Am I right, or what should I look for now, and where?

With Premium still on my computer, after having followed your and Twins's advice it is not as slow any more, slower than with MBAM free though, but freezes up frequently especially at startup.

Hi:

I really cannot say - I can only tell you what the log shows.  It could be picking up remnants?
What Twin wrote was specific to your system, reading the same log.
So, I'm not sure. :unsure:

A computer needs a certain amount of memory (RAM) to run both the Windows OS and the user's programs.
Certain tasks, such as booting up, will consume resources, so slowdowns during this phase might be expected on an older system.

MBAM Premium runs in real-time (rather than just the on-demand, manual scanner of the Free version).
So, as mentioned earlier, that will require the use of resources the Free version does not consume.
The Free version can only scan the system to remove infections that have already made it past your AV onto your computer.
The difference is that the Premium version provides real-time protection to help PREVENT infections in the first place.
There will be a trade-off for that protection, in terms of computer resources.
On newer systems with lots of RAM, this is not a significant factor.

There is only so much that can be done to "speed up" an older system with an older processor and only 1 GB of RAM.
There are some suggestions here: Slow PC? - Start Here

Otherwise, short of upgrading to a new computer with a supported version of Windows (XP has been officially "dead" since April 2014), adding more RAM (if your system will accommodate it) may likely be the only other solution at this time.

If you would like help with this, I suggest starting a new topic here, and including both of these links, so that the other forum helpers can get up to speed:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/163046-premium-makes-my-computer-very-slow/https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/163057-possible-malware/

Thanks again,

Ok, thank you so much again for all your quick and very informative responses.

I realise the issues with this particular low RAM XP computer. I have  2 other computers at home which are more up-to-date and where the Premium version wont be an issue I'm sure. This XP computer I only use while travelling, which I am doing right now and when I also upgraded from MBAM free to Premium. 

Cheers!

OK, take care.

(One additional note: Each computer requires its own license. If you have a new, subscription-based, consumer license purchased AFTER March 2014, it can be activated on up to 3 household computers at one time. An older, 1-PC, lifetime license (purchased BEFORE March 2014 or in a promotion after that date) can only be activated on 1 computer at a time.  In that case, the other computers will need their own licenses.)

Cheers,

And, finally.... :)

You can try changing this Advanced Setting (note -- doing so will reduce one's protection somewhat).

Cheers,

For some reason i can't disable that setting, because when i tried to disable delay protection, and then i restart my computer, and then lauch MBAM went back to advanced settings and that end that setting automatically check by default. Even though, i disable in the first place so i think there might be some issue with setting saving.

Hi, @INeedAMedic:

For some reason i can't disable that setting, because when i tried to disable delay protection, and then i restart my computer, and then lauch MBAM went back to advanced settings and that end that setting automatically check by default. Even though, i disable in the first place so i think there might be some issue with setting saving.

That is a bug reported some time ago to the developers. It is on the list to be fixed with a future program version.

Thank you,

P.S. As this is @santamonica's thread, if you still need help with this, I suggest that you please start a NEW, SEPARATE forum topic using this clickable cjfj.png button.
The staff and experts will be able to more easily provide both you and the OP with individual help to get you both up and running.

Thank you for your understanding.