Update not Updating

I am trying to help a friend who lives on the other side of the planet.  He is not very technical so I cannot give him anything complicated.

Product : Malwarebytes Free Version

Problem : Cannot update the Database

This is what is he is doing....

1. Right-click the MBAM Icon

2. Click on Open Malwarebytes

3. Click on Update now  (Database)

MBAM then responds saying that the Database is up-to-date

A few seconds later MBAM pops up a Message Box saying that the Database is out-of-date  -  and it is because it is showing 2014.11.20.06.   That is the last date that he uninstalled and reinstalled it.  Think that he is getting a little tired of the uninstall / reinstall routine.

MBAM uninstalls and reinstalls without any issues and the Database is then up-to-date.  After that there seems to be an issue in getting the Database to update.  A Scan of the system with MBAM and also with Avira AV comes up clean, so it is unlikely that some Malware is preventing the Database from updating.

As I was the one that highly recommended MBAM I now feel that it is my responsibility to get it fixed. 

T.

Hello and welcome back:

There are many possible reasons for updating failures - system settings, malware, software conflict, networking/connectivity issues, incorrect MBAM settings/installation, etc..

It's impossible to say without more information.

A couple of easy things to check:

>>Was MBAM installed and configured from a Windows Admin-level account, and is the user running in an Admin account?
>>Also, please be sure your system date/time are correct.

>>Also, please check to be sure there are no "Detected Threats" that need to be dealt with first, as this can prevent the program from updating: Click the "Scan" button at the top of the dashboard and verify that there are no detected threats (especially PUPs or PUMs) awaiting your actions.
>>Then, please be sure that your AV and firewall both give MBAM full permissions. It's possible that your AV or firewall might be treating MBAM as a new program and may be blocking it -- the files that need to be excluded can be found HERE (just the one reply, not the entire thread). Please post back if you need help with that.

If those suggestions don't work:
I realize the user has already reinstalled the program, but A) we don't know if the user followed the "best practices" in the tutorial, and B) it's helpful to start troubleshooting with a known, "clean" starting point.  So I suggest the following:

• Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)
  • NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Please let us know how it goes.

>>>It would be preferable for the computer's owner to create a forum account and to post here directly.  Helping someone indirectly, from a distance, without physical control of the computer, can be confusing and complicated. :)  

Thanks,

Hi Dale, thanks for your reply and some very interesting thoughts on how to fix this issue.

As mentioned previously, my friend is not very technical, so it may take a little time to work through the options that you have mentioned.... :wacko: ...... but we will persevere and see if we can get MBAM operational again.

I will post back to this Thread with the outcome.

T.

Thanks Dale.

Time differences between opposing sides of the planet always lead to interesting communication challenges.... now if only the Earth was flat our little star would rise at the same time everywhere...

I once new a geography teacher who was a member of the Flat Earth Society.....  makes you wonder what he was teaching the kids :wacko:  

T.

Hi:

Well, he likely wasn't teaching geography or science?

As for the time difference, we would welcome the computer owner's membership here at the forum, so that we could assist him directly.

(Someone is around nearly 24/7.)

However, it's certainly admirable of you to try to assist from afar. :)

Either way, just let us know how it goes.

Cheers,