Scan for Rootkits

I just upgraded from V 1.75 to the latest 2.03 - so far so good. Looking at the dashboard and settings, I am checking how it is configured. In principle I see no need to modify settings but just wonder why "scan for rootkits" is not ticked by default. I understand that this may increase the scanning time but isn't detection more important?  How are users normally using this function?

Also, is the option to include a program update check in addition to the database update, only providing info that a new program update is available or will it be downloaded and installed automatically when ticked? I don't mind checking and being alerted but would prefer to do the update after preparing my pc (image).

Hi:

Until staff can weigh in....

Anti-rootkit (ARK) scanning does lengthen scan times a wee bit.  Some users oddly obsess about scan times.  Also, ARK scanning is not supported on some encrypted drives and can cause problems on those platforms.  For these reasons (and perhaps others?), ARK is disabled by default.

As far as the new "program updates" option:

That feature was only just reintroduced with version 2.0.3, having been removed from previous builds of 2.x.

IIRC, in version 1.x, the user had granular, separate control over that: notification and/or installation.

AFAIK, I ***think*** the current feature -- if enabled -- will only notify the user that the new version is available.

I do NOT think it will automatically install it.

But the GUI and the system tray icon *will* nag you about it until it is installed.

Staff will correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

P.S. I agree with you on this, and I lobbied hard for a restoration of the user control over program updates. ;)

Daledoc - thanks for your response.  I have now enabled Rootkit detection - let's see how it goes.  If there is strong argument for not doing that, I would still be interested.I am not using encrypted drives.

As for the automatic program update, again I would hope that someone from malwarebyte could clarify this.  Otherwise I guess I will find out eventually.