AVG Conflict with Malwarebytes Premium ?

I am running Malwarebytes Premium Version 2.0.2.1012 and AVG Internet Security 2014.0.4765 on a laptop with Windows 7 SP1.  I've heard many times that MBAM conflicts with anti-virus programs.  Can someone please tell me definitively that there is or is not a conflict?  I've seen some threads here that address the addition of exclusions in MBAM and in the antivirus program.  If it is necessary to add similar exclusions can you also please help me with them?  Thanks!

Hi:

No, MBAM does not conflict with AVs.
To the contrary, it is specifically designed to run alongside all of the popular AVs, to provide layered, complementary protection against zero-hour and zero-day threats missed by the AVs.

For most users, it's not strictly necessary to set mutual exclusions.
However, some users prefer to be proactive in that regard, to avoid potential minor performance slowdowns, etc.

The attached screenshot shows an example of how to exclude an AV (in this case KIS) from MBAM.
And the list below shows the MBAM files to exclude in AVG.

Please let us know if you need more help.

Thanks,
-------------------

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software for your version of Windows:

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If you are using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well.

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

post-29793-0-46800100-1413978112_thumb.p

Pardon a newbie for barging in, but if you ask the same question at AVG Support Community you will get a different answer where Premium is concerned. They will tell you that you should never install two or more programs with real-time resident protection. Admittedly I have no personal experience with Premium. I've been running AVG Free and Malwarebytes Free together for several months with no problems whatsoever.

Hello and :welcome: :

Pardon a newbie for barging in, but if you ask the same question at AVG Support Community you will get a different answer where Premium is concerned. They will tell you that you should never install two or more programs with real-time resident protection.

Based largely on marketing and sometimes outdated information from older versions of both MBAM and the AVs, it's not uncommon for AV vendors to assert such claims.

However, they are seldom based on actual testing or evidence.  They merely want users to buy *their* products. ;)

MBAM is specifically designed and tested to work alongside all of the major AVs, to provide complementary, layered protection against the threats often missed by AVs.

So, the claims are largely "bunk".

Moreover, minor performance issues are often resolved by setting mutual exclusions, as described above.

Millions of users -- myself included -- run MBAM Premium alongside a range of robust real-time AVs without any issues.

Having said that, a temporary uninstall of MBAM for users experiencing problems with a specific AV in order to troubleshoot is not unreasonable.

More often than not, the issue was neither caused by MBAM nor resolved by its removal.

Admittedly I have no personal experience with Premium. I've been running AVG Free and Malwarebytes Free together for several months with no problems whatsoever.

As you know, MBAM Free is just an on-demand, manual scanner. (As such, one would not expect any problems between MBAM Free and any AV application.) The Free version can only remove infections that have already made it past your AV and onto the computer.

MBAM Premium provides a layer of real-time protection to prevent such infections in the first place.

I'm sure the staff will have some additional feedback. :)

Thanks very much for your input. :)

Cheers,

I have no real reason to doubt what you are saying, glad you took no offense. Maybe I'll post again if I have any problems with Malwarebytes (which I never have before). Was just checking to see if there were any issues with the latest update before I install it. Thanks!

Hi:

Nope, no offense. :)
Just explaining things from the perspective of a longtime home user who's been hanging around here for quite a while.
I can't speak for the staff or company, of course.

So perhaps they will weigh in, as well.

We forum volunteers work here with the staff to solve problems for users -- "compatibility" issues between MBAM and AVs just aren't common these days.

And, yes, if you ever have a problem with MBAM on your computers, please feel free to post back here in a new topic. :)

Cheers,

ALSO, for additional information:
There is an FAQ Section here: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions
And here are links to the MBAM 2.0 User Guide: Online and PDF
And there are many useful KB topics and videos at the helpdesk support page