Database won't update - possible infection?

I've been unable to update the malwarebytes database for some time (170 days at least) - I have picked up from comments that it may be an infection?

Also, I have lost most of my programs on the start menu of widows vista, again I have read suggestions that it may be an infection?

Can someone help please?

Hi:

There are many possible reasons for updating problems.
Infection is certainly one of them.

A couple of easy things to check:
>>First, please be sure your system date/time are correct.
>>Also, please check to be sure there are no "Detected Threats" that need to be dealt with first, as this can prevent the program from updating: Click the "Scan" button at the top of the dashboard and verify that there are no detected threats (especially PUPs or PUMs) awaiting your actions.

As you mention that you have other symptoms suspicious for infection, it would be a good idea to get some expert help.
We can't work on malware diagnostics and removal in this sub-section of the forum.

So, for expert assistance, I suggest that you please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options and the initial steps for getting free help.
A malware analyst will guide you through the cleanup process.

Thanks,