Technical Support Problem/Complaint

Yesterday I called the Technical Support number (877-360-0594) and briefly talked to a technician who had me type in www.chat123.us which took me in to an online chat.  I expained that I wanted to activate my paid for subcription for Malwarebytes on a second computer in my home.  They took over control of my computer and started going through all the files on my computer marking files with large red x's and red connecting lines to another x.  This continued for about 20 minutes and I was told that all the files they marked were potential threats and could shut down my computer and were blocking my access to installing Malwarebytes (even though I was already using the free trial with no problems).  To end a long story they asked if they had permission to clean up all these threats with a cost of $159.99 for a one time fix, but recommended that I subscribe to multiple cleanings for a $600 plus amount.  I refused to pay anything several times and eventually they just shut down my computer.  At no time did they even go into the Malwarebytes softwares to try to activate it !!!  Has anyone else had this problem with Cleverbridge Customer Support that Malwarybytes uses for it's support services.  It was an aggravting experience that I don't want to ever experience again !!

Hi Temple,

I apologize for your experience but, the support you are describing is not provided by our team or affiliate Cleverbridge as they do not provide any sort of technical support.  Currently we provide all consumer support via email through this online portal http://www.malwarebytes.org/support/consumer/contact/   or here on the forums.  I will provide the information you have brought to us about this scam to the appropriate team members so that it can be investigated. If you could provide any information regarding where you acquired the information for those contacts it would assist greatly. 

Additionally, you can read up more on these type of tech support scams here: http://blog.malwarebytes.org/tech-support-scams/

Thank you. 

Hi Temple,

There is nothing worse for us than to read something like this. Our malware intel team will investigate so the more information you can provide about how you came across this phone number the better.

It is a constant battle for us with fake companies pretending to be Malwarebytes Tech Support and then doing a remote access on to your PC.  WE WILL NEVER REMOTE ACCESS ON TO YOUR MACHINE. That is the first warning sign of a potential scammer.  Also if you do give them your credit card and later find out you were frauded you can always call the credit card company and issue a chargeback with the reason being fraud. It is the only way to get your money back.

Glad you didn't pay as they would have undoubtedly scammed you.  If you can remember how you came across that number let us know so we can investigate further.

• Staff

Hi Temple,

The number you called is for a company known as Ecomputer support (website: hxxp://ecomputersupport .net/ registered anonynously). May I know where you found this phone number?

They are indeed involved in tech support scams. I called them and very quickly they said my clean computer was infested with viruses. They were going to charge me anywhere from $289 to $499 to fix the non-existing issues.

I have added them to our tech support blacklist: http://blog.malwarebytes.org/tech-support-scams/#blacklist

Thank you for passing this information along.

• 8 months later...

My friend downloaded a Premium subscription of Malware Bytes. She was then contacted by ecomputersupport.net and thought that they were tech support for Malware Bytes and paid another $200+ dollars for "support". They are sending daily emails since their logmein account was blocked by formatting and reloading the system. In helping her research this company I found they have listed Malware Bytes on their website as software they "support".   I don't know if they can be made to remove this from their site but it helped them scam my friend.