New Member Seeking Assistance

Gringo,

OK, I finally saw how to save something to the desktop, fairly simple after all.

I opened a link to Internet Explorer and did the "Resrt DME" again. I got the same results, the primary and secondary channels both have:

Device 0 "DMA Available" and "Current Transfer Mode" as Ultra DAM Mode 5.

Device 1 "DMA Available" and "Current Transfer Mode" as "Not appliable".

Then I ran Security Check, AdwCleaner and RogueKiller by clicking on the links you provided in the early text while I had the Forum open in Internet Explorer. Results below.

Regards, Rick.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.61

Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86

Internet Explorer 8

``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````

Windows Firewall Enabled!

avast! Internet Security

Microsoft Security Essentials

`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````

Out of date HijackThis installed!

Spybot - Search & Destroy

SUPERAntiSpyware

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.70.0.1100

HijackThis 2.0.2

CCleaner

Adobe Reader 9 Adobe Reader out of Date!

````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````

Microsoft Security Essentials MSMpEng.exe

Microsoft Security Essentials msseces.exe

Spybot Teatimer.exe is disabled!

Alwil Software Avast5 AvastSvc.exe

Alwil Software Avast5 afwServ.exe

Alwil Software Avast5 avastUI.exe

`````````````````System Health check`````````````````

Total Fragmentation on Drive C:: 9%

````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

# AdwCleaner v2.115 - Logfile created 03/18/2013 at 17:24:47

# Updated 17/03/2013 by Xplode

# Operating system : Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (32 bits)

# User : Rick - RICHARD-YWXI839

# Boot Mode : Normal

# Running from : C:\Documents and Settings\Rick\Desktop\adwcleaner 03-18.exe

# Option [Delete]

***** [services] *****

***** [Files / Folders] *****

Deleted on reboot : C:\Program Files\Common Files\AVG Secure Search

Folder Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\Rick\Local Settings\Application Data\PackageAware

***** [Registry] *****

Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88}

Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88}

***** [internet Browsers] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v8.0.6001.18702

[OK] Registry is clean.

-\\ Google Chrome v25.0.1364.172

File : C:\Documents and Settings\Rick\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences

[OK] File is clean.

AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [15402 octets] - [15/03/2013 00:16:36]

AdwCleaner[R2].txt - [15463 octets] - [15/03/2013 00:19:24]

AdwCleaner[s1].txt - [15405 octets] - [15/03/2013 00:20:22]

AdwCleaner[s2].txt - [1291 octets] - [18/03/2013 17:24:47]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner[s2].txt - [1351 octets] ##########

RogueKiller V8.5.4 [Mar 18 2013] by Tigzy

mail : tigzyRK<at>gmail<dot>com

Feedback : http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/413-roguekiller/

Blog : http://tigzyrk.blogspot.com/

Operating System : Windows XP (5.1.2600 Service Pack 3) 32 bits version

Started in : Normal mode

User : Rick [Admin rights]

Mode : Remove -- Date : 03/18/2013 17:58:08

| ARK || FAK || MBR |

¤¤¤ Bad processes : 0 ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ Registry Entries : 1 ¤¤¤

[HJPOL] HKLM\[...]\System : DisableRegistryTools (0) -> DELETED

¤¤¤ Particular Files / Folders: ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ Driver : [LOADED] ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ HOSTS File: ¤¤¤

--> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost

¤¤¤ MBR Check: ¤¤¤

+++++ PhysicalDrive0: ST380215A +++++

--- User ---

[MBR] c325924676dcb82fd1d85aed0879ddf6

[bSP] eb65e9bb1ca7c8c61e97a71d8246fcf6 : Windows XP MBR Code

Partition table:

0 - [ACTIVE] NTFS (0x07) [VISIBLE] Offset (sectors): 63 | Size: 76308 Mo

User = LL1 ... OK!

User = LL2 ... OK!

Finished : << RKreport[4]_D_03182013_02d1758.txt >>

RKreport[1]_S_03152013_02d0106.txt ; RKreport[2]_D_03152013_02d0107.txt ; RKreport[3]_S_03182013_02d1757.txt ; RKreport[4]_D_03182013_02d1758.txt

gringo,

I did a shut-down and re-boot late Monday night.

About 1 min to get the icons up on the screen,

The icons went away for about 2 min,

When they came back it was about 3 min to get the lower right icons,

The BingBar panel came up, it took about 1 min for it to go away after I clicked on the "X",

I double clicked on Google and it was 4 min to get a white screen and another 2 for the icon to appear.

Entering this web site on the top line took a but 1 min for the search to find the link and another 1 min for the web site to come up.

I'll try to look again in the morning, if I get to the machine before my wife does.

Regards, Rick.

• Staff

Hello

I want you to run things in selective startup, this will help pinpoint the type of problem it is

1. push the "windows key" + "R" (between the "Ctrl" button and "Alt" Button)

2. In the Open box, type msconfig and then click OK. The System Configuration Utility appears.

3. Click the "services" tab.

4. Put a checkmark in "hide all Microsofts services".

5. Uncheck anything that is left.

6. click on the "startup" tab

7. uncheck all under this tab

8. click on the apply button

Restart the computer and see how things are doing, If things are doing better then repeat the process but this time start with the services and start by adding the first half back and apply the changes

If things go bad again then you know the problem is in the services that you restarted and you can keep searching untill you find the one it is

if you restart all the services and things are still ok then go back and do the same thing for the startup programs

Gringo

gringo,

I have re-booted about 40 times today trying to isolate the programs(?) that are causing the slow responses and the BingBar.

In the Services tab there were programs(?) for Windows CardSpace, Intuit Update (2 of them, I'm not using TurboTax this year), LexBce Server (I'm not using a Lexmark printer now), Microsoft Antimaleware, MyFunCardsService and SeaPort that are disabled. A couple of them were disabled when I started but I didn't take note and don't remember which they were.

All of the ones I mention above are shown as Stopped in the Function Status column. There are a couple others that are checked and show as stopped also, do you need to know which ones? None of the unchecked ones show Running.

In Startup, I think that "wkfud" and "wks5b" both need to be disabled for the BingBar to not appear.

I am getting around 3 to 4 min start-up otherwise, that is getting all the icons in the lower right to come up.

When I click on Chrome it is taking as much as another 4 to 5 minutes to get on line. I'm going to try a few other combinations tomorrow to see if I can get any shorter times.

When I was doing "half disabled" it seemed that the Chrome page came up faster but that was also when I didn't have internet access which may have had an affect there.

Another odd occurrence happened when, for some unknown reason, I lost my internet connection. I finally called the 888 number for Charter and connected with a "Silicone Sally" to trouble shoot. I was asked to re-boot and when I did I got a Windows update 1 of 1 to be installed, which took about 5 minutes. Then the slow start-up caused the Silicone Sally to suggest I check things over and call back later, I had been on line with it for about 20 minutes, most of which was waiting for the computer to shut down and re-boot.

Later on I called again and was connected with a live tech who advised me to un-plug the modum (for 30 sec) and router (until all the lights came on, on the modum) which did bring back my internet access. The tech said there was some kind of phone outage in my area that caused the laps in service, but had no specific details.

My question is how could I have gotten a Windows update when I had no internet connection?

Is that an indication of a hidden bug that is constantly re-loading a problem?

I wanted to give you an up-date for now, I'll do some more tomorrow and report again.

Regards, Rick.

gringo,

If I understand correctly, I need to find my original disc to be able to do the installation. I think I loaned it to my son when he had a computer failure. I'll get it back, or one like it. I believe that most any Windows disc will do, if it is for XT,...am I correct there?

Cam I do that download from the Microsoft web site?

Do I need to do anything to the memory on the disc before starting? I did put all the data I thought I wanted to save on a flash drive and I have not created any new stuff, except for e-mail, which I have not down loaded into Outlook Express yet.

What about my virus protection, Avast? Do I need to do anything with that so it will still be there when the disc is loaded? I get automatic updates, will I need to re-register for those?

Will all the other programs I have downloaded to chase this bug go away? Are there any that I would want to keep, or re-install after the disc loads? Is one of them better to keep than Avast, like SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot or Malwarebytres? Can a combination of anti spyware programs be better that just one?

I can't think of any more questions just now, if you have any other suggestions I'm ready to take note.

I'll let you know as soon as I procure a disc (assuming that I do need a disc) before I start, in case there are any more questions I come up with.

Regards, Rick.

gringo,

I just noticed a spelling error I missed on my first review of the last post. Is there any edit function where I can fix it?

Regards, Rick.

gringo,

I talked the situation over with my wife, she is in favor of leaving it like it is. The computer is working better than it has in a long time, once it is booted up, so if there isn't a down side any worse than that, I think I'm going to let is go for a while.

I was just on my Yahoo site and opened a second line on the web to get here. It took all of about 30 seconds to bring up the second Chrome link and allow me to come to this site. That is the part of the computer operation that we are happy with.

Regards, Rick.

• Staff

Hello CRZN427

see if this will help chrome out

We need to reset Chrome back to defaults to completely clear out what is going on.

We can keep the bookmarks by exporting them - Export Bookmarks

Then I need you to go Google Sync and sign into your account

scroll down untill you see the "Stop and Clear" button and click on button

At the prompt click on "Ok"

Now we need to uninstall chrome

I want you to uninstall Chrome and if asked about user data or settings then remove this also

restart the computer and reinstall chrome, You can download The latest version from here - Google Chrome

After you have Chrome reinstalled please check things out and let me know how it is doing.

Gringo

gringo,

I don't know if I have any bookmarks. I don't usually make any, I don't think I know how. If it is something that happens when I visit a web site won't I get them back when I go there again? I think I'm showing off my ignorance again here but I don't want to do any thing that is wrong or that will negate the exercise

When I go to Google Sync, and have an e-mail address that is "att.net" will it make any difference.

Regards. Rick.

I can go to my installed programs and uninstall Chrome, at least I understand that part, as well as re-loading the Google Chrome.

gringo,

I uninstalled, and re installed Chrome. On the first boot up it took just a little over 2 min for it to come up. That is a little faster than before, I think. I'll do a couple more this afternoon to see if anything changes.

Lately when I log off I get a small panel from Microsoft Essentials with a dotted progress bar that finally has the "end now" choice for shutting down.

Also, when I boot up, I get the two screens from the "msconfig" operation each time. When they appeared during the process of changing the selections I thought that was normal, as I started with the "start button" and clicked OK.

I am going to talk to the wife again about re installing the Windows disc. I'm concerned that if I have some spyware tucked in there somewhere it could lead to loosing data, and funds, in our financial accounts. My wide does visit our bank and investment web sites from time to time and I don't want to be exposed there.

Regards, Rick.

• Staff

Hello

even tho we have removed some malware I really don't see anything that should cause this type of slow down, one of the things that i notice is that the ram looks a little low (512 magabytes) when we are done you may look into upgrading it and see if it helps

but before you do that I want you to check the harddrive and the ram to see if it starting to fail

lets start with the harddrive - I want you to run seatools for windows and see if it finds anything - http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

gringo,

I think I got all the download done correctly and ran a scan (I think i twas called "long scan", it took close to an hour) and have a seagate entry in the "program files" on the C-Drive, but I can't determine which of the 56 files (at least there are 56 icons) that has the data you want to see.

Can you direct me to the correct place so I can post it for you?

It is 2:00 AM here, so i'll check back tomorrow for your answer.

Regards. Rick.

gringo.

This is a copy of the File log, found under the help icon on a page titled Sea Tools For Windows. When I saw it the first time I didn't think it was the end result, the other test logs were much more lengthy, and I didn't see at the bottom where it says "pass". I didn't really know what to look for or expect.

On that page there is a box, that I checked, by 9RXL0DV7. When I did that the second icon "basic tests" illuminated and the drop down had several selections. I chose Long Generic. When It finished the box at the right end, test status, was all painted blue, but no file save, or other instruction came up. When I couldn't make sense of what had happened, and the short log, and the late time of day, I called it quits.

Is this what you wanted to see??

Regards, Rick.

--------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.2.0.8 ---------------

3/22/2013 1:40:54 AM

Model: ST380215A

Serial Number: 9RXL0DV7

Firmware Revision: 3.AAD

Fix All Long - Pass 3/22/2013 1:40:54 AM

• Staff

Hello CRZN427

It looks like it passed so that is good but this is not my area and I know very little.

I would feel better that before you formatted the computer you get it checked for a hardware issue.

You can try in this room - http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=6

to see if they will help you check the hardrive and the ram to see if there is an issue.

put the title something like "you would like to check the hardrive or ram for errors"

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!