AOL has hijacked all my browsers

After going to a website and wading through many sales offerings I managed to download a copy of PaintDotNet. Upon exiting that website I was immediately faced with an AOL toolbar and a popup window blocking any further action other than agreeing to make AOL my browser homepage. I could not exit the page so I used <ctr><alt><del> to exit. I uninstalled the AOL toolbar using the WINXP "Uninstall" facility. Firefox continued to be blocked by the popup window and the toolbar remained. After <ctr><alt><del> several times and reactivating Firefox remained locked up. I believe I saw Internet Explorer also locked up. I finally had to agree to their homepage to use either browser. It now appears that IE was unaffected but I cannot change my default home page on Firefox away from the AOL home page. I do not like their homepage or being tricked and forced to use it.

Welcome to the forum, please start at the link below:

http://forums.malwar...?showtopic=9573

Post back the 2 logs here.....DDS.txt and Attach.txt

<====><====><====><====><====><====><====><====>

Next.......

Please remove any usb or external drives from the computer before you run this scan!

Quit all running programs.

Please download and run RogueKiller to your desktop.

http://tigzy.geeksto...ueKillerX64.exe <---use this one for 64 bit systems

For Windows XP, double-click to start.

For Vista or Windows 7-8, do a right-click on the program, select Run as Administrator to start, & when prompted Allow to run.

Click Scan to scan the system.

When the scan completes > Close out the program > Don't Fix anything!

Don't run any other options, they're not all bad!!!!!!!

Post back the report which should be located on your desktop.

MrC

<+>
Please don't run any other scans, download, install or uninstall any programs while I'm working with you.

<+>
Please stick with me until I give you the "all clear".

------->Your topic will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days!<--------

(If I don't respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM)

MrCharlie,

Thanks for your help. I have been getting help from a friend who "interpreted" your instructions for me. I fine the Malwarebytes website very confusing and difficult to use. I could not interpret your original response without his help. He told me to tell you if mycomputer is runing better. It is hard to tell but the last two time I have brought up Firefox it DOES seem to come up with their proper home page. It appears that the main victim was/is the Firefox browser. It has periodically locked up with the AOL pop-up massage and then been free. Just recently something almost like a reinstall occurred. This is all very confusing and out-of-control with new screens I have never seen before and only appearingonce occurring.

I have attached the "dds.txt" and "attach.txt" file I think.- the "Add to Post" (in blue) is confusing. Maybe they are not attached - another confusing thing about Malwarebytes' website.

I think I have done everything you and my friend advised me to do.

So many thanks-

Ken Knaell

It appears that you have solved my problem. Firefox is now running fine and all my applications apear to comr on screen and respond faster than before. I don't know which step fixe the problems but they are definately fixed. One thing I notice is that scrolling up and down through ebay adds is much more responsive to mouse movement without the delay and then overshoot that was present even before the AOL invasion.

This very upsetting situation is now solved.

Many thanks to you, MrCharlie for the outline of what to do and my friend for interpreting the instructions for me.

dds.txt

attach.txt

MrCharlie,

You solved my problem. I appreciate your involvement in this. I did not know how to respond to the forum here and was very confused in my frenzied state of mind over the problem. I corresponded more with my friend who really heped me interpret your instructions. It really took both of you to get me through this. In fact he directed me back to this page so I could send you this note. I still find the forum very hard to navigate which I related to him several times.

It was a real pleasure and surprise to see Firefox respond so well. I think everything improved when RogueKiller was run. All my apps seem to come up faster and in particular the scroll bars on websites seem to respond better without the delay and then overshoot that they did previously.

After the success I did a little research on RogueKiller, HijackThis, and some other websites that came up. I now know more about Windows tuneups that I ever realized existed. He mentioneed a PayPal contribution link but i could not see where this is. I could give a little but not alot.

Many thanks - your involvement is truely appreciated

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Removed email address so they are not spam harvested

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!