quarantined files (FP) will not restore

see this link for more under false positives

http://forums.malwar...howtopic=110016

this was my post about the problem

I had this problem, the following 2 files were quarantined and show up on the quarantined page. After finding they were false positives I treis to restore them. The frist one restores, the second will not and remains as quarantined. I am running the Windows 7 with the latest corrections, version on malware bytes is 1.61.0.1400, database v2012.05.18.01, fingerprints 326170

C:\Windows\System32\DFDWiz.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-d..ostic-user-resolver_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_c50b5b3967029178\DFDWiz.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

So how do I get the file back, apart from doing a windows restore and hoping it does it?

------

I solved the issue by doing a windows restore then uninstalling Malwarebytes and reinstalling it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff

Development is looking into it. Just to restate the files there do not need to be restored and will not affect windows if it is missing. This would require a major rewrite to Malwarebytes and is not something that can be fixed very quickly. If you are really worried about it support can possibly help you put it back but you will not gain anything from restoring that file in place.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not worried, I got round the issue. You seem to be looking at this from the one instance reported, what happens if you cannot restore something that is really needed? The fact you do not even get an error message from malwarebytes giving information on why the files cant be restored isnt very good either.

If its possible that important files might need to be restored the problem needs fixing, maybe not immediately if its that difficult but you should at least post something to keep users informed, there is nothing worse than being ignored and before you tell me I am not being ignored the only time there is an update is when I make a post.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

This is in our list to be fixed. Development has it in the project list but you have to understand though that this is a major project to fix and we have a lot of other priorities in front of it that are quite a bit more important. This is a rare occurence and will only happen when windows protects the folder like winsxs is protected. i did state that before dev is looking into it and that hasnt changed any. They have investigated and its on their task list. This probably wont be fixed for a few versions at least do the amount of more priority projects. We do agree though that it needs to be fixed and would make for a little less support problems.

• 4 weeks later...