Broken.OpenCommand

I can not seem to get rid of this problem. I will run malwarebytes and it will find two Broken.OpenCommand files that I remove. Within a couple of days they are back, even though I have Malwarebytes set up to protect. When these files are present my register starts acting up. Programs freeze, the computor fill not shut down. When I run malwarebytes the problem goes away but then the next day its back. I have run several other virus programs and they all fail to find anything. Malwarebytes seems to be the only program that finds this virus but it can't seem to permanetly remove it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Hi and welcome to MBAM, srgibson: :)

Are you -- by any chance -- running Iolo software, such as System Mechanic, on this computer?

If so, please have a look at the FAQ - Section A - Item #18 for suggestions on how to proceed:

ISSUE: I keep getting the following detections, even after allowing Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to fix them:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\open\command\(default) (Broken.OpenCommand) -> Bad: (NOTEPAD.EXE %1) Good: ("%1" /S)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\(default) (Broken.OpenCommand) -> Bad: (NOTEPAD.EXE %1) Good: (regedit.exe "%1")

SOLUTION: Most often when these two items return repeatedly it is due to the presence of an IOLO product such as System Mechanic. System Mechanic and other IOLO security products alter these settings from their Windows defaults. If you do have an IOLO product installed, it is best to simply change the security setting in your IOLO product so that it does not change the settings for .reg files and .scr files or that you simply have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware ignore these particular detections. These entries are not actual infections, just system settings changes that are not set to their defaults, which is something that some infections will do to prevent .reg files and .scr files from executing, which is why Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware detects these items, since it has no way of knowing if the change was made by the user, an infection, or a legitimate software such as IOLO.

If you are NOT running Iolo software, and/or the suggested fix doesn't resolve your issue, please post back and let us know.

Someone will then advise you how to proceed.

HTH,

daledoc1