Update Button not Operational

On 11/12 I installed the free version of Malwarebytes; And, Today (11/17), I was going to update it to run a scan on my system. However, the "check for updates" button, although there, was faded and when clicking on it - nothing happened. I removed Malwarebytes and then started up in safe mode and reinstalled Malwarebytes; and had it automatically update (database version 8183). I then went in to the update tab and the "check for updates" was available to click on - which I did, and it stated that I had the latest version. But, I noticed that the "update" button was again faded and not operational. I closed and reopened the program with the same results. I now see that there is an update available (8184). What do I need to do to correct this so I don't have uninstall/reinstall the program everytime I want to scan my system? I am running Windows 7 64 bit and my anti-virus is Microsoft Security Essentials. Thank you.

Greetings :)

Did you install Malwarebytes under the administrator account?

Greetings and thank you. No, I did not install it under the administrator account. I cannot remember if it asked me for my administrator password when i installed the program or not? I know that I do get asked for it by other programs when i am installing or updating.

I think you should uninstall it again, reboot, and then re-install it, taking care to install it under the administrator account.

Using the administrator account, you can set a schedule for updates and scans if you wish.

If you wish to update Malwarebytes on a standard/non-admin account after installing it on an admin account, right-click on the Malwarebytes icon and choose "run as administrator" and then you will be prompted to enter your password.

You should be able to scan without entering your password, but if you find that you cannot, follow the directions above in order to run a scan :)

:)

Edited by mountaintree16

Hello thepez1,

As designed MBAM's update button requires Administrator privileges when you run mbam.exe.

To enable the Update button within the scanner:

On Windows 7/Vista (not logged into the administrator's account) Right click on the mbam.exe icon and select run as admin. (provide credentials if needed)

On Windows XP log into the administrator account.

Also, scheduled items (such as updates) will occur on any account running.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

I think you should uninstall it again, reboot, and then re-install it, taking care to install it under the administrator account.

Using the administrator account, you can set a schedule for updates and scans if you wish.

If you wish to update Malwarebytes on a standard/non-admin account after installing it on an admin account, right-click on the Malwarebytes icon and choose "run as administrator" and then you will be prompted to enter your password.

You should be able to scan without entering your password, but if you find that you cannot, follow the directions above in order to run a scan :)

:)

Mountaintree16 thank you very much for you help! I tried the "run as administrator" and that worked - again, thank you!