Google Update

OuJoe

Hi! :D

Shiny as a brand new penny to this site, forum, etc.

I've nearly gone berserk because of the regular reincarnation of Google Chrome's update schedule. Nothing anyone has suggested which I've tried has stopped it reappearing after a short time. If it has been a problem for you, you'll know just what I mean.

But now, I think I've found out how to rein it in or possibly even knock it on the head for ever :lol:

I'd like some advice on which forum to post it in.

When considering your reply, please note that I would like a little space to share some of my frustrations and opinion, but if I could have that short rant, I think you'll by really delighted with what I have to share.

Finally, I have prepared a 5 page pdf (not all text, plenty of screen shots) to guide the disabling process and want to 'publish' rather than reproduce it all. Can you do that on this site? Maybe a monitor would like to have a peep at it before it 'goes live'?

Your guidance and comments would be most appreciated.

Old Joe.

Guest Code Hunter

Hi! :D

Shiny as a brand new penny to this site, forum, etc.

I've nearly gone berserk because of the regular reincarnation of Google Chrome's update schedule. Nothing anyone has suggested which I've tried has stopped it reappearing after a short time. If it has been a problem for you, you'll know just what I mean.

But now, I think I've found out how to rein it in or possibly even knock it on the head for ever :lol:

I'd like some advice on which forum to post it in.

When considering your reply, please note that I would like a little space to share some of my frustrations and opinion, but if I could have that short rant, I think you'll by really delighted with what I have to share.

Finally, I have prepared a 5 page pdf (not all text, plenty of screen shots) to guide the disabling process and want to 'publish' rather than reproduce it all. Can you do that on this site? Maybe a monitor would like to have a peep at it before it 'goes live'?

Your guidance and comments would be most appreciated.

Old Joe.

Hi Old Joe, emoticons.png

There is and easier way to do this.....Switch from Google Chrome to SRWare Iron Chromium browser. No Google tracking and the updating is manual . More info here; http://forums.malwar...ndpost&p=472387

:huh:

It wasn't quite the response I had hoped for given the hours I spent searching and investigating. It seemed to have been something that people quite widely found frustrating.

I certainly will have a look at the proposed alternative to Google's Chrome Browser, though.

BTW, I have grown fond of some of Google's resources, particularly the the translate facility but I guess if I can access all of the add-ons I presently enjoy it may be worth the trouble. Can't help feeling like I may be losing my security blanky, though.

:(

Does no one want to know what I found? :o

Guest Code Hunter

BTW, I have grown fond of some of Google's resources, particularly the the translate facility but I guess if I can access all of the add-ons I presently enjoy it may be worth the trouble. Can't help feeling like I may be losing my security blanky, though.

SRWare browser uses the same addons, themes, extensions as Chrome. It's faster than Chrome.

Hi Code Hunter,

It seems that this has becoming a conversation between the two of us so, since you appear to have shown an interest in this topic, I'd like to update you on my progress.

SRWare browser, down loaded and installed;

• mostly running in German but there is the facility to require that the pages are always translated and displayed in English, so that facility is on and working;
  • Iron ware site has an irritating advert space just a little down from the top of the page. It is dynamic, the ad is 'looped' (right term?) repeatedly so it is distracting and frankly, boring;
  • during installation the option of importing info and settings from other browsers is offered and that seems like a good thing;
  • the SRWare looks practically the same as my old Chrome, with few differences, right down to the 'page forward or back' arrows, refresh and home icons, the bookmark bar, and 'spanner' to customise your browser;
  • the dropdown menu from the spanner appears identical to Chrome, except where there was Google Chrome before there is SRWare Iron now;
  • even the sub-menus in the last mentioned 'drop down' are like those in Chrome;

Probably for the first time, I've become particularly aware of the difference between a service provider's browser and the search engine that runs in the browser. So, I've been able to incorporate Google (browser) again and have access to all of the setups I had in my Google account, including home page and translate 'plug in' - all byjust logging in to my account.

My experience of using SRWare, so far, hasn't been as delightful as I had hoped for. The site-predict in search isn't there although it does seem to 'call up' sites recently visited, however totally unlike the term that you are entering to search for. Reaching this forum took ages because I hadn't bookmarked it and didn't remember the particulars of the address I needed. My journey here involved searching for Malwarebytes, going to the parent site, following the link to 'forums' and waiting for what seemed an eternity before the general Forums page appeared, signing in and waiting, probably as long before the current page appeared. As soon as it did, I bookmarked it - I think that's called part of the learning curve?

FYI it took me hours to, I had hoped, finally remove chrome from my computer.

A simple un-install does not work! There are dozens of references to Google Chrome that stay behind. Locating some folders and files and attempting to manually delete them is prevented (e.g. google crash handler & update - will not be budged).

Internet search takes one to a couple of places which offer the solution, stating categorically that Chrome WILL be un-installed if you use either the conventional (oh yes; I'm running WindowsXP Prof with Service Pack 3): -

• click Start > Set Program access and defaults > select program > Unininstall )OR;
  • Start > All Programs > Google Chrome > Uninstall Chrome;

These are generally not of any benefit.

The most helpful was guidance from a Google Forum and another discussion site (wish I could tell you their names, but that seems to have vanished along with Google Chrome, after following their instructions).

The process included using-

• Microsoft knowledge base info on backing up and restoring computer's registry;
  • a Downloaded text doc, with the extension revised, saved on your desktop;
  • following a sequence of instructions which required double clicking that file, agreeing to various steps that were presented to you and finally;
  • running some code provided in the guide to complete the uninstal.

But, guess what?

The update schedules were still in place (I've located and deleted those) and

this morning I've run Piriform's 'Speccy' which shows that googlecrashhandler.exe and googleupdate.exe are still processes running on my PC and using about 3MB of my valuable RAM.

How do you kill the beast. Or is there some reason I should just leave it alone?

So blah, blah, blah, and there you have it.

What now?

Old Joe.