Hidden rundll in "scheduled tasks"

Hello -

I recently beat back some infections,

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8096

The only symptom I had was a rundll32 would appear in the Task Manager

that pointed to a DLL with a suspicious random-looking name.

I assumed that the file was hidden on my drive somewhere, and I was pulling my hair out

trying to find it.

Somebody with some Windows knowledge looked at the stack trace of the rundll

and surmised that the thread was trying to display a message box, but the box was

not visible, probably because the thread was not running on the desktop.

He went on to say that the box was probably trying to say that the target dll was not

found, since despite all efforts, we couldn't find it.

He suggested Control Panel/Scheduled Tasks might be the where the rundll32 gets

kicked off from. What do you know, he was spot on. It was there, hiding in plain site.

http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scedtaskpg6.jpg

scedtaskpg6.jpg

Here's my question - do any of the anti-spyware tools check the Scheduled Tasks as a source

of Malware Initiation?

Hello.

Please read and follow the instructions provided here: Pre- HJT Post Instructions

When ready please post your logs here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

Someone will be happy to assist you further with cleaning your system.

During this scan and cleanup process you should not install any other software unless requested to do so.

Thanks for the info - I will post the HTT log, although I am no longer having any malware symptoms.

In my post above I should have made it clear when I said that

"The only symptom I had was a rundll32 would appear in the Task Manager"

I actually meant

"The only symptom I had *left after cleaning the system* was a rundll32 would appear in the Task Manager"

I making this post primarily because none of the scanning tools, including MalwareBytes, SAS & HJT

picked up on this bogus entry in "Scheduled Tasks"

You could say it was harmless, since it's target DLL was not on the system, but on the other hand, it's

malware related, and therefore perhaps it should have been identified.

hey I was having the exact same problem, only the Critical Stop.wav would play every hour, I recently fought off some malware myself and I figured that the viruses left some stuff over to be executed on the hour but the reason the sound was playing is because the .dll was no longer there thanks to dave i check my schedule tasks and there it is every hour to be executed

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddcYsPge.dll",d

C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\craudpuo.job

No scans find anything i am going to do a search on the .dll right now hopefully there is nothing

a search for ddcYsPge.dll has found nothing on my computer is my HJIT log:

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\Creative\Creative ZEN\ZEN Media Explorer\CTCheck.exe

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\Creative\Sync Manager Unicode\CTSyncU.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaantmon.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE

C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneService.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel® Quick Resume Technology Drivers\Elservice.exe

C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgui.exe

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgscanx.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://127.0.0.1:4664/&s=OOKSksyJQsFYMuOWGOWq4gn8vGQ

O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll

O2 - BHO: Java Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: Java Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll

O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTCheck] C:\Program Files\Creative\Creative ZEN\ZEN Media Explorer\CTCheck.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [igndlm.exe] C:\Program Files\Download Manager\DLM.exe /windowsstart /startifwork

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTSyncU.exe] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Sync Manager Unicode\CTSyncU.exe"

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc...ash/swflash.cab

O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll

O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll

O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe

O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

O23 - Service: AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe

O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe

O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® Quick Resume technology (ELService) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel® Quick Resume Technology Drivers\Elservice.exe

O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMON) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaantmon.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe

O23 - Service: nTune Service (nTuneService) - NVIDIA - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneService.exe

O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - CACE Technologies - C:\Program Files\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe