Can't figure out why this keeps happening.

Komeiji

Hey, I was here not too long ago with the following problem:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=74219&st=0&p=382550&hl=need%20help%20please%20komeiji&fromsearch=1entry382550

This issue keeps happening whenever it seems my browser runs Java.

I saved my log this time around from cleaning out the virus.

Regardless of how many times I keep cleaning this bugger out, it keeps returning whenever I go to a site that runs java on the side.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5766

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.19019

2/14/2011 10:06:33 PM

mbam-log-2011-02-14 (22-06-33).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Objects scanned: 152898

Time elapsed: 9 minute(s), 23 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 2

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\gpsfblxs (Trojan.FakeAlert.Gen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\proxyserver (PUM.Bad.Proxy) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\temp\561F.tmp (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

post-32477-1261866970.gif

C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\temp\561F.tmp (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Whether you wish to continue with cleaning or not, you should be aware that you may have been infected by a backdoor trojan. This type of program has the ability to steal passwords and other information from your system. If you are using your computer for sensitive purposes such as internet banking then I recommend you take the following steps immediately:

• Use another, uninfected computer to change all your internet passwords, especially ones with financial implications such as banks, paypal, ebay, etc. You should also change the passwords for any other site you use.
  • Call your bank(s), credit card company or any other institution which may be affected and advise them that your login/password or credit card information may have been stolen and ask what steps to take with regard to your account.
  • Consider what other private information could possibly have been taken from your computer and take appropriate steps

This infection can almost certainly be cleaned, but as the malware could be configured to run any program a remote attacker requires, it will be impossible to be 100% sure that the machine is clean, if this is unacceptable to you then you should consider reformatting the system partition and reinstalling Windows as this is the only 100% sure answer.

Please post back to let me know how you wish to proceed.

Please do not attach the scan results from Combofx. Use copy/paste.

DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix, or HijackThis fixes without supervision.

Doing so could make your pc inoperatible and could require a full reinstall of your OS, losing all your programs and data.

Vista and Windows 7 users:

1. These tools MUST be run from the executable. (.exe) every time you run them

2. With Admin Rights (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator")

Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.

You might want to print these instructions out.

I suggest you do this:

XP Users

Double-click My Computer.

Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.

Click the View tab.

Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types."

Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."

Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files."

Click Apply, and then click OK.

Vista Users

To enable the viewing of hidden and protected system files in Windows Vista please follow these steps:

Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.

Click on the Start button. This is the small round button with the Windows flag in the lower left corner.

Click on the Control Panel menu option.

When the control panel opens you can either be in Classic View or Control Panel Home view:

If you are in the Classic View do the following:

Double-click on the Folder Options icon.

Click on the View tab.

If you are in the Control Panel Home view do the following:

Click on the Appearance and Personalization link.

Click on Show Hidden Files or Folders.

Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.

Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.

Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.

Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.

Next:

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Download - ATF Cleaner

Good job thumbup.gif

The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

For XP:

• Click START run
  • Now type ComboFix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.

For Vista / Windows 7

• Click START Search
  • Now type ComboFix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.

If you used DeFogger

To re-enable your Emulation drivers, double click DeFogger to run the tool.

• The application window will appear
  • Click the Re-enable button to re-enable your CD Emulation drivers
  • Click Yes to continue
  • A 'Finished!' message will appear
  • Click OK
  • DeFogger will now ask to reboot the machine - click OK

IMPORTANT! If you receive an error message while running DeFogger, please post the log defogger_enable which will appear on your desktop.

Your Emulation drivers are now re-enabled.

Here's my usual all clean post

To be on the safe side, I would also change all my passwords.

This infection appears to have been cleaned, but as the malware could be configured to run any program a remote attacker requires, it's impossible to be 100% sure that any machine is clean.

Log looks good :P

• Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    1. From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    2. Click once on the Security tab
    3. Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    4. Click once on the Custom Level button.
    5. Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    6. Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    7. Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    8. Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
    9. Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    10. Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
    11. When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    12. If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    13. Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

[*]Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week

(Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

[*]Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer.

Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over.

I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients.

Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

[*] WOT , Web of Trust, As 'Googling' is such an integral part of internet life, this free browser add on warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. It is especially helpful when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:

Green to go

Yellow for caution

Red to stop

WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE.

[*] JAVA Click this link and click on the Free JAVA Download

[*]Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly.

This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.

If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site

until there are no more critical updates.

Only run one Anti-Virus and Firewall program.

I would suggest you read:

PC Safety and Security--What Do I Need?.

How to Prevent Malware: