False Positives

tornado

Hi,

I am quite the novice at these things, and was confused when MBAM reported that my other protection could contain malware, however I as notified on another forum that these are possibly 'false positives' and the member then re-directed me to this forum.

So I hope you can shed more light on this, my log is posted below!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30

Database version: 1378

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

09/11/2008 23:35:08

mylog.txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|G:\|H:\|I:\|J:\|)

Objects scanned: 275355

Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 42 minute(s), 23 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 1

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 12

Files Infected: 28

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Network\UID (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\AVG Free 8.0 (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Eraser (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Lavasoft (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Powertoys for Windows XP (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\SpywareBlaster (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\x\Start Menu\Programs\Protection (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\x\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\CCleaner (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\x\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Exposed (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\x\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\x\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\SUPERAntiSpyware (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

Files Infected:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\AVG Free 8.0\AVG Free Tray Icon.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\AVG Free 8.0\AVG Free User Interface.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\AVG Free 8.0\Uninstall AVG Free.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Eraser\Create Nuke Boot Disk.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Eraser\Eraser Help.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Eraser\Eraser Verify.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Eraser\Eraser.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Eraser\History.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Eraser\Readme.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Eraser\Uninstall Eraser 5.8.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Ad-Aware.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Ad-Watch.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Software update.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\ThreatWork.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Uninstall Ad-Aware.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Powertoys for Windows XP\Tweak UI.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\SpywareBlaster\SpywareBlaster AutoUpdate Configuration.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\SpywareBlaster\SpywareBlaster Help.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\SpywareBlaster\SpywareBlaster.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\x\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\x\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Exposed\Exposed Help.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\x\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Exposed\Exposed.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\x\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Exposed\Uninstall Exposed.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\x\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\xStart Menu\Programs\Protection\SUPERAntiSpyware\BootSafe.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\x\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\x\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware Help.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\x\Start Menu\Programs\Protection\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware Repair.lnk (Rogue.XLG) -> No action taken.

I don't know what is going on here, can anybody please help on what action to take.

Many thanks in advance!

I got the same results with an updated version of MBAM.

Do you mean that by using the name Protection for my folder I have accidently chosen a name that a type of virus (Rogue) uses?

I'll re-name the folder now and re-scan when I can if this is the case, thanks for the help.

I got the same results with an updated version of MBAM.

Do you mean that by using the name Protection for my folder I have accidently chosen a name that a type of virus (Rogue) uses?

I'll re-name the folder now and re-scan when I can if this is the case, thanks for the help.

Please rename the folder and MBAM should stop alerting on it.