Intel pulls a fast one in Sandy Bridge fiasco

ShyWriter

qvzcd.jpg

Intel pulls a fast one in Sandy Bridge fiasco

Thinking of buying an i5- or i7-based PC? Check the motherboard first. Intel intends to continue selling the defective chip sets

By Woody Leonhard | February 08, 2011

If you're thinking about buying an i5- or i7-based PC any time in the next few months, there's a little slight of hand you need to know about.

Last week in my Tech Watch blog I told you about Intel's Sandy Bridge woes: Intel shipped its fancy new i5 and i7 chip sets with faulty transistors. In its haste to reuse an old design, Intel shipped 8 million chip sets with transistors that are subject to failure. When the transistors start wearing out, they clobber the SATA 2 port on the motherboard.

eef31c9c.jpg

Intel stopped manufacturing the faulty chip sets, and many board manufacturers announced replacement plans to swap out bad mobos for good ones, as soon as they become available.

Now Intel's come up with a plan that makes me wonder what their quality control folks have been smoking. Here's what Intel says:

Both Intel and its customers are focused on delivering the highest quality PC systems based on Intel